16.194 new journal on computational linguistics?

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 14:36:05 EDT

             Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 10:29:12 -0700
             From: Alexander Gelbukh<gelbukh@cic.ipn.mx>
             Subject: New journal on Computational Linguistics, in Russian and
    English

    Dear colleague,

    [This is to ask you whether you or your library would subscribe to this
    Journal.]

    Soon we will start publishing a new journal on Computational Linguistics.
    It will be published in Russia (in Russian and English, with summaries
    in the other language); see description below.

    To plan its printing and readership, we need to know whether you, or your
    University's library, would subscribe to this journal. Especially
    important are subscriptions outside ex-USSR, otherwise the project is just
    not financially viable.

    many copies can your library afford?), to count your help in. The price
    will be similar to that of existing journals, such as Computational
    Linguistics. We plan to issue monthly volumes of some 100 pages (A4 size).

    IS RUSSIAN SCIENCE STILL ALIVE?

    Yes. Recent annual conferences Dialogue (www.dialog-21.ru) have
    gathered hundreds of Russian linguists, computational linguists, and
    business representatives. About 150 best papers were selected for
    publication in a 1250-page Proceedings volume of Dialogue-2002.
    Dialogue conferences have more than 25 years of history.

    In 2001, Russian Association for Computational Linguistics and Intelligent
    Technologies (COLINT) was founded by several leading Russian research
    institutes, software companies, and university groups, to promote the
    full spectrum of activity in this domain, from fundamental research
    to commercial product development.

    The new journal will be oriented mostly to the vast community formed
    around Dialogue and COLINT and will exploit its huge potential for
    high quality novel publications.

    WHY READ RUSSIAN PUBLICATIONS?

    1. Russian science has earned excellent reputation in the past. Even
         though Russia has lost its military and financial strength, its
         scientists are the same and the quality of their research keeps
         the same.

    2. Russian Computational Linguistics tradition, for historical reasons,
         is different from the Western mainstream. It's good news and bad news.

         Bad news because Western scientists sometimes have difficulties in
         understanding Russian papers, and it takes some effort to map the
         terminology and the basic assumptions to those traditional in the West.

         Good news because this gives a new (or just non-traditional)
         perspective, fresh (or just different) ideas, and thus enriches your
         horizon. Combining these new (different) ideas with the mainstream
         research directions would give you an advantage over your colleagues
         who do not have access to this source, not to mention the advantage
         for the science.

    3. Many of these publications will deal with Russian as the object of the
         research. Taking into account the potentially huge Russian market and
         integration of Russia into world culture and economics, many companies
         and thus research institutes, conferences, publishers, etc. show
         constantly growing interest in Russian-related lingware, such as
         translation software, OCR, style checkers, text mining, etc. Russian
         as object might become (if not already is) a promising research
         direction for your group, too!

    4. If you live outside of ex-USSR, know that with few dollars or euros you
         will help to save Russian science and to give access to scientific
         literature to thousands of Russian scientists who just do not have
         money to subscribe to existing computational linguistics journals.

    5. If Russian is your native or second language, just enjoy reading in
         Russian! And hearing from your old friends and colleagues.

    WHAT IF I DON'T KNOW RUSSIAN?

    1. Each paper will be supplied with a sufficiently detailed English
         summary.

    2. Ask your colleagues and students -- you will be surprised with that
         some of them do read in Russian (if it is not their native language!).

    3. Accept our most cordial thanks! We will contact you when the first
         issue is ready.

    Thank you!
    Alexander (www.Gelbukh.com)
    =====================================
    Welcome to CICLing-2003 conf: www.CICLing.org
    Intelligent Text Processing and Computational Linguistics
    February 2003, Mexico
    Prof. Dr. Alexander Gelbukh (Alexandre Guelboukh Kahn),
    Research Professor, head of NLP Lab,
    Centro de Investigacion en Computacion (CIC),
    Instituto Politecnico Nacional (IPN), Mexico.
    gelbukh@cic.ipn.mx, gelbukh@gelbukh.com, www.Gelbukh.com
    I send you this message because I found your address at a webpage related
    to the topic of this journal. If you do not want to receive my messages,
    please let me know at gelbukh@Gelbukh.com. I apologize for inconvenience.