16.229 free e-books, e-records

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 01:31:22 EDT

       [1] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (129)
             Subject: Internet Archive: Digital Bookmobile Tour Gives Free
                     Internet Books

       [2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (52)
             Subject: NARA Conference Seeks Comment on Plans for Electronic
                     Records Availability

             Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 06:27:19 +0100
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>
    Internet Books

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    September 26, 2002

                        Internet Archive's Digital Bookmobile Tour
                             Gives Free Internet Books to Kids
               http://www.eff.org/IP/20020924_eff_bookmobile_pr.html

    "A healthy public domain means more books for more children," said IA
    Founder Brewster Kahle. "It's tragic that 98% of all books controlled by
    copyright are out of print, and therefore not available through the
    Internet."

    >To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
    >> Million Public Domain Books Online

    Contact:

    Lauren Gelman
         Bookmobile Project Director
         Internet Archive
         lauren@archive.org
         +1 650 724-3358

    Jeff Ubois
         Public Relations
         Internet Archive
         jeff@archive.org
         +1 510 527-2707
    Digital Bookmobile Tour Gives Free Internet Books to Kids
    Goal Is One Million Public Domain Books Online

    San Francisco - On September 30, the Internet Archive's (IA) Digital
    Bookmobile will embark on a cross-country journey to deliver free digital
    books to children nationwide.

    The Bookmobile will stop at public schools, libraries, universities,
    mobile home parks, retirement homes, a Bookmobile conference, Hewlett
    Packard Digital Village schools, and the Inventors Hall of Fame, printing
    free copies of public domain books along the way.

    The Bookmobile will park and print books at the United States Supreme
    Court building where, on October 9, the Justices will hear arguments in
    Eldred v. Ashcroft, a landmark case that will decide how many books can be
    part of the Bookmobile's digital library and all other digital libraries
    in the U.S. The case will determine if the government can extend copyright
    by another 20 years, effectively removing millions of books from the
    public domain.

    "A healthy public domain means more books for more children," said IA
    Founder Brewster Kahle. "It's tragic that 98% of all books controlled by
    copyright are out of print, and therefore not available through the
    Internet."

    Kahle and his eight-year-old son Caslon will pilot the Bookmobile on its
    cross-country trip. Caslon says, "Bookmobiles rule!"

    To celebrate the public domain and the launch of the Bookmobile, the
    Archive is hosting a "going-away party" at the Archive from 4:30-7:30pm
    PDT on Friday, September 27. IA invites anyone who loves books to join us
    in wishing the Bookmobile a safe and fun-filled journey.

    For directions to the Internet Archive party:
    http://www.archive.org/about/contact.php

    For this advisory:
    http://www.eff.org/IP/20020924_eff_bookmobile_pr.html

    Bookmobile conference:
    http://eagle.clarion.edu/~grads/csrl/great.htm

    Inventors Hall of Fame:
    http://www.invent.org/index.asp

    Hewlett-Packard Digital Village Program:
    http://grants.hp.com/us/digitalvillage/index.html

    About the Bookmobile:

    The Bookmobile is a rolling digital library capable of downloading public
    domain books from the Internet via satellite and printing them anytime,
    anywhere, for anyone. Just as the bookmobiles of the past brought
    wonderful books to people in towns across America, this century's
    bookmobile will bring an entire digital library to their grandchildren.

    The Bookmobile is a Ford Aerostar with a satellite dish mounted on top,
    and a card table, chairs, and laptops in the trunk. It is packed with a
    high-speed printer, book cutter, and book binder, donated by Hewlett
    Packard and the Computer History Museum. At each stop, using the laptops
    hooked up to the Internet via satellite, a user will be able to access the
    library of public domain works at www.archive.org and choose a book, which
    will then be downloaded, printed, and bound.

    For more information and pictures of the Bookmobile suitable for
    publication, see: http://www.archive.org/bookmobile/

    About Internet Archive:

    The Internet Archive is a non-profit organization founded in 1996 to
    provide "universal access to human knowledge." Located in the Presidio of
    San Francisco, IA is building a digital library of Internet sites and
    other cultural artifacts in digital form. Like a paper library, the
    Archive provides free access to researchers, historians, scholars, and the
    general public.

    For more information on the Internet archive, see: http://www.archive.org

    About Eldred v. Ashcroft:

    Eldred v. Ashcroft is a challenge to the Sony Bono Copyright Extension
    Act, which extended copyright by 20 years both for existing copyrights and
    for future copyrights. Under this law, copyright owners control their work
    for their lifetime plus 70 years. That means for 20 years, not one new
    book will enter the public domain, and this is just the most recent
    extension. Copyright has been extended 11 times in the last 40 years.
    Since works have been repeatedly and retroactively kept under copyright
    control, the concept of a Public Domain must now be considered by the
    Supreme Court.

    The Internet Archive submitted an amicus brief to the Supreme Court
    explaining that if Congress is allowed to keep on extending the copyright
    term, it will take works even longer to enter the public domain. This will
    stifle the vibrancy of digital libraries that depend on new technologies
    to distribute works to people the publishers tend to forget.

    For more information on the Eldred v. Ashcroft, see:
    http://www.eldred.cc/
                                  -end-

    --

    ============================================================== NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted; neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements. We attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and appreciate reciprocal credit. For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor: <mailto:david@ninch.org> ============================================================== See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at <http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>. ==============================================================

    --[2]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 06:28:22 +0100 From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> Subject: NARA Conference Seeks Comment on Plans for Electronic Records Availability

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources from across the Community September 26, 2002

    National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) and Electronic Records Archives (ERA) Call For Comments on Plans for Making Electronic Records More Available NARA-ERA User Conference November 8, 2002: NARA, College Park, MD http://www.archives.gov/electronic_records_archives

    >From: "Michael Skipper" <Michael.Skipper@nara.gov> >To: <asis-l@asis.org> >>>Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:19:24 -0400

    NARA-ERA USER CONFERENCE The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) plans to build a digital national archives that will make invaluable records of America available electronically to anyone, at any time, in any place, for as long as needed.

    NARA is seeking interested professionals to participate in a user conference and provide feedback concerning our strategic response to the challenge of preserving, managing, and accessing electronic records. Date: November 8, 2002

    Time: 8:30 AM - 3:30 PM (lunch will be provided)

    Place: National Archives and Records Administration 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD 20740

    REGISTER BY OCTOBER 11 NO ADMISSION COST TO CONFERENCE REGISTRATION IS LIMITED

    For more registration information, visit our website at: http://www.archives.gov/electronic_records_archives

    or telephone: 301-837-2990 or 301-837-0443