16.239 styles of publication

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 05:05:51 EDT

       [1] From: Patrick Durusau <pdurusau@emory.edu> (35)
             Subject: Re: 16.232 MacArthur Fellowship recognizes Internet
                     publisher

       [2] From: Greg Lessard <lessardg@qsilver.queensu.ca> (12)
             Subject: Your posting on Humanist

             Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 09:35:02 +0100
             From: Patrick Durusau <pdurusau@emory.edu>
             Subject: Re: 16.232 MacArthur Fellowship recognizes Internet publisher

    Willard,

    Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty ) wrote:

    >It should also be noted, I suppose, that the Ginsparg mechanism suits
    >physics as it could never suit the humanities. The genius of it lies in
    >that match between tool, material and its social context. Our publishing
    >needs, it seems to me, are a great deal more complex and demanding.

    In what way are the publishing needs of the humanities "a great deal more
    complex and demanding"?

    I have heard this asserted in a variety of contexts by humanities scholars
    but other than the bare assertion, I have never heard any principled
    justification for the statement. By principled justification I mean one
    that uses facts or analysis to support of the notion that publishing in the
    humanities is qualitatively different from publishing in physics, for example.

    Lack of peer review is the bogeyman that I have most often heard as a
    criticism of the Ginsparg mechanism. As far as I know, the various journals
    in physics have not abandoned peer review as a result of the Ginsparg
    mechanism and physicists continue to publish in those journals. Does anyone
    seriously contend that the quality of publishing in physics has declined as
    a result of this mechanism? (While a judgment call, that would at least be
    an attempt at a justification for not following this model.)

    The Ginsparg mechanism can actually lead to more peer review since
    materials posted can be reviewed and commented upon anyone with an interest
    in a particular topic and not just the greatly reduced subset of peer
    reviewers for a particular journal.

    So if the issue is not peer review, which as noted is not necessarily
    affected by such a model, what are these "complex and demanding" needs of
    the humanities? (I realize your position is generally accepted dogma in the
    humanities but I don't think it should go unchallenged.)

    Patrick

    --
    Patrick Durusau
    Director of Research and Development

    --[2]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 09:35:43 +0100 From: Greg Lessard <lessardg@qsilver.queensu.ca> Subject: Your posting on Humanist

    Hi Willard,

    You said recently on Humanist:

    >It should also be noted, I suppose, that the Ginsparg mechanism suits >physics as it could never suit the humanities. The genius of it lies in >that match between tool, material and its social context. Our publishing >needs, it seems to me, are a great deal more complex and demanding.

    I'm curious to know where you see the difference between the two areas.

    Greg

    Greg Lessard, Directeur tudes franaises, Queen's University Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7L 3N6 Courriel: lessardg@qsilver.queensu.ca Tl: (1)(613) 533-2083 Fax: (1)(613) 533-6522