16.309 research methodology

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Nov 01 2002 - 04:36:31 EST

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: Stephen Miller <Stephen.Miller@assoc.oeaw.ac.at (25)
             Subject: research methodology

       [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (17)

             Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 09:03:34 +0000
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>

    > from: Stephen Miller <Stephen.Miller@assoc.oeaw.ac.at>
    > date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 08:17:59
    > subject: Fw: Re: 16.300 research methodology?
    >

    > > Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 08:12:03 0000
    > > From: cbf@SOCRATES.BERKELEY.EDU
    > > > >
    > >For my sins I have been handed the research methodology course in the
    > >Department of Spanish which I last taught in 1990. It will, obviously,
    > >have to be entirely redone.
    >
    > Redemption as ever is close at hand or rather now comes handily on a CD
    > rather than you having to be on your knees. "How to do Research" authored
    > by Ian Kennedy which was once a www site but is now dumped onto a cd and
    > available at a modest cost. I maintained the European mirror for the
    > material when it was available online and even jaded and hardended
    > researchers found material of interest there.
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/Athens/3238/ for further details.

    Dr Willard McCarty | Senior Lecturer | Centre for Computing in the
    Humanities | King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS || +44 (0)20
    7848-2784 fax: -2980 || willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk |
    w.mccarty@btinternet.com | www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/

             Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 09:14:58 +0000
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>

    For a few years now I have required students to buy Wayne C Booth, Gregory
    G Colomb and Joseph M Williams, The Craft of Research (Chicago: University
    of Chicago Press, 1995), which I supplement with lectures. Every year I
    look for something better and am disappointed. A book along those lines but
    with issues which arise out of humanities computing would be a very fine
    thing. I am not thinking of a book about humanities computing, or a lab
    workbook, rather something that discusses research as this now is when one
    uses a computer. An opportunity for someone....

    One trouble with Booth et al is that there's not enough of the humanities
    in it to suit me. The book goes on as if questions had answers and problems
    solutions, end of story. We live and breathe in the part of the story they
    do not tell.