16.312 associative thinking? comments on exemptions?

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 06:03:24 EST

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: Vika Zafrin <vika@wordsend.org> (23)
             Subject: associative thinking

       [2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (65)
             Subject: Comment Period on DMCA Anticircumvention Exemptions:
                     Nov 19-Dec 18

             Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 09:50:58 +0000
             From: Vika Zafrin <vika@wordsend.org>

    Dear Humanists,

    Vannevar Bush voiced the idea that the human mind "operates by association"
    and ran with it to explain the Memex:

    "With one item in its grasp, [the mind] snaps instantly to the next that is
    suggested by the association of thoughts, in accordance with some intricate
    web of trails carried by the cells of the brain. It has other
    characteristics, of course; trails that are not frequently followed are
    prone to fade, items are not fully permanent, memory is transitory. Yet the
    speed of action, the intricacy of trails, the detail of mental pictures, is
    awe-inspiring beyond all else in nature." (As We May Think)

    He never did follow up to that with references, though, and I wonder if
    some of you might be able to point me to relevant literature on the subject
    of -- not associative memory, but associative thinking, the stream of
    consciousness taken out of the context of creative writing. I've already
    been directed toward Henri Bergson's Matter and Memory, which is
    interesting, though not directly relevant.

    Please feel free to answer off-list.

    Thanks much,
    -Vika Zafrin

    ---
    vika@wordsend.org
    http://www.wordsend.org
    http://www.brown.edu/decameron/

    --[2]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 09:53:52 +0000 From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> Subject: Comment Period on DMCA Anticircumvention Exemptions: Nov 19-Dec 18

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources from across the Community November 1, 2002

    First Notice on Copyright Rulemaking Proceeding on Anticircumvention Exemptions of DMCA Comments to be made: November 19 - Dec 18 Comment Form: http://www.copyright.gov/1201/comment_forms/

    See Full Notice of Inquiry: http://www.copyright.gov/fedreg/2002/67fr63578.html

    We will be hearing more from many other sources, but here is the first notice of the second triennial rulemaking proceeding undertaken by the Copyright Office and mandated by the DMCA to examine whether any particular "classes of work" need to be exempt from the controversial "anti-circumvention" section (1201) of the DMCA. Are there particular classes of works, whose users "are, or are likely to be, adversely affected in their ability to make noninfringing uses due to the prohibition on circumvention" of protection measures?

    This then is a call for examples particularly of "fair use" or any other legitimate use of digital materials that are protected by technological locks which is being prohibited by this legislation. What legal use of protected material is being prevented by this section of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act?

    --

    ============================================================== NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted; neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements. We attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and appreciate reciprocal credit. For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor: <mailto:david@ninch.org> ============================================================== See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at <http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>. ==============================================================