16.327 automatic keywording for HTML documents?

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 04:02:24 EST

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 08:38:47 +0000
             From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)
             Subject: Automatic keywording & HTML authoring

    Willard,

    Perhaps the subscribers who follow HTML authoring tools may be able to
    indicate the state of the art.

    I found it interesting to note recently that Microsoft Front Page does not
    appear to automatically create a Meta element for keywords. Is it not
    relatively trivial to produce a tool that compares frequency of words in a
    document with a list of stop words and place the top five or six as the
    value of the content attribute of a meta element.

    Given the low volume of documents I produce, I am quite content to hand
    code the HTML I produce. However, I can see a nifty XSLT stylesheet coming
    into play for electronic scholarly publication enterprises that handle
    large documents sets and wish to ensure for their collections the best
    number of affordances for indexing and search tools. Has any one done
    this?

    --
    Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large,
    knows no "no exit" in a hypertext