16.384 thinking with the technologies

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Dec 13 2002 - 03:16:59 EST

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: Norman Hinton <hinton@springnet1.com> (16)
             Subject: Re: 16.380 thinking with the technologies

       [2] From: "C. M. Sperberg-McQueen" <cmsmcq@acm.org> (96)

       [3] From: Leo Robert Klein <leo@leoklein.com> (14)

             Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 07:54:53 +0000
             From: Norman Hinton <hinton@springnet1.com>

    Willard, this is the best possible way of looking at the problem: it's
    what I would expect from you, and if things work that way, it's
    marvelous.

    Over the past 30+ years, though, l I've seen, over and over again,
    people doing types of investigations because the technology leant itself
    to the particular kind of approach -- apparently without any attempt to
    make the technology work for them instead of the other way around. A
    good example is the proliferation of KWIK concordances, whether we need
    the or not. I truly prefer deciding what I want to do and then forcing
    the technology to do it, or failing that, gong ahead and doing it
    without the technology,even though that may slow my work down by factors
    of ten and prevent me from getting the job done for a year or so. (Or in
    one case, for a decade.) I guess it's what Humpty Dumpty said -- "the
    question is who's to be master, that's all."

    And of course it's also fun to learn the technology well enough to see
    ways to make it do things it isn't 'supposed' to do.