16.424 conferences &c.

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 05:58:49 EST

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (28)
             Subject: Berkeley Digital Rights Management Conference

       [2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (33)
             Subject: Copyright and Libraries--this week on Bill Moyers NOW

       [3] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (15)
             Subject: Digitization Workshops

       [4] From: Silvia Hansen <hansen@coli.uni-sb.de> (59)
             Subject: Last CfP: Multilingual Corpora: Linguistic
                     Requirements and Technical Perspectives

       [5] From: Ray Siemens <siemensr@mala.bc.ca> (89)
             Subject: FW: AoIR 2003

             Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:27:40 +0000
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    January 15, 2003

                               The Law & Technology of
                        DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT CONFERENCE
                         Thur. Feb 27 - Sat. March 1, 2003
                        Bancroft Hotel, Berkeley, California
           https://www.law.berkeley.edu/institutes/bclt/drm/index2.html

             Sponsored by the Berkeley Center for Law and Technology
                      and the Berkeley Technology Law Journal

    >Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:30:06 -0500
    >>From: Mairead Martin <maireadm@UTK.EDU>
    >>To: RIGHTS-L@LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
    >

    >Thursday, February 27- Saturday, March 1, 2003
    >
    > Boalt Hall School of Law and the School of Information Management and
    > Systems at the University of California, Berkeley are pleased to announce
    > this year's groundbreaking conference on digital rights management.
    >
    >As industry increasingly embraces digital delivery systems and looks to
    >technologists like you to develop and implement technological protection
    >measures to protect their information, it is increasingly important for
    >you to understand how your work intersects with intellectual property,
    >privacy, and contract law.
    [material deleted]

             Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:28:32 +0000
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    January 16, 2003

                   Copyright and Libraries--this week on Bill Moyers NOW
                      Friday January 17, 2002 at 9pm (Eastern) on PBS
                           <http://www.pbs.org/now/sched.html>http://www.pbs.org/now/sched.html

    >From: Rina_Pantalony@pch.gc.ca
    >To: <david@ninch.org>
    >>Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 08:45:36 -0500
    >

    >Coming up on NOW with Bill Moyers...
    >January 17, 2002 at 9p.m. E.T./P.T. on PBS
    >(check local listings at
    ><http://www.pbs.org/now/sched.html>http://www.pbs.org/now/sched.html)
    >
    >Public libraries embody the American ideal that anybody can read, watch or
    >listen to just about anything they want to. With publications and
    >broadcasting delivered free by the Internet directly to homes, is the
    >information revolution making libraries obsolete? As more people can
    >access this content, the copyright owners -- in many cases large corporate
    >publishing entities -- are looking for ways to charge fees. A growing
    >chorus of lawyers, librarians, and educators fear the implications of
    >losing free access to information for everyone. Appearing on the program
    >are Nancy Kranich, Siva Vaidhyanathan, Patricia Schroeder, and Jack Valenti.
    >
    >On Friday, January 17, 2003, at 9 P.M., on PBS (check local listings at
    ><http://www.pbs.org/now/sched.html>http://www.pbs.org/now/sched.html), NOW
    >with Bill Moyers takes a look into the digital future of intellectual
    >property and the debate that has pitted private control against the public
    >domain.
    [material deleted]