16.439 self-archiving

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 03:03:38 EST

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: "David L. Hoover" <david.hoover@verizon.net> (21)
             Subject: Re: 16.435 self-archiving

       [2] From: Philip Cadigan <pcadigan@MIT.EDU> (21)

             Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 07:45:01 +0000
             From: "David L. Hoover" <david.hoover@verizon.net>

    I have been following this thread with interest. My Law librarian friends
    report
    that the trend of looking only at on-line sources is very strong among law
    students as well. Fortunately, law materials have the financial resources
    behind
    them to get most important sources quickly on line.

    One question that arises, though, is the nasty issue of copyright. Can we
    legally
    self-archive published work. It would seem not, at least in the case of journal
    articles for which we have assigned copyright to the journal. Am I just too
    timid? Is this really not a problem?

    --
                          David L. Hoover, Assoc. Chair & Webmaster
    NYU Eng. Dept., 212-998-8832       http://www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/english/

    What he has now to say is a long wonder the world can bear & be. Once in a sycamore I was glad all at the top, and I sang. Hard on the land wears the strong sea and empty grows every bed. John Berryman, The Dream Songs, #1

    --[2]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 07:43:58 +0000 From: Philip Cadigan <pcadigan@MIT.EDU> Subject: Re: 16.435 self-archiving

    Dear Willard,

    I think there is an attractive (and legal) middle ground between self archiving and traditional scholarly publishing. The MIT Press Journals division allows our authors to web-publish/host their articles independently one year after publication. Our books division is a little more flexible than that. In our case the publisher still retains the rights, but the author gets the added bonus of increased distribution as well as the imprimatur of formal publication.

    I know of other university presses that offer similar arrangements.

    Thanks, Philip

    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Philip Cadigan Journals Internet Marketing Manager The MIT Press Five Cambridge Center Cambridge, MA 02142 USA

    t 617-258-0598 f 617-258-5028 http://mitpress.mit.edu . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .