16.446 guidelines for adoption of educational technology?

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 02:30:57 EST

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 07:11:30 +0000
             From: "Marshall Soules" <soules@MALA.BC.CA>
             Subject: ISTE Standards

    Hello Humanists:

    I'm supervising a Master's thesis on the appropriate use of computing
    technologies in collaborative online learning, and the candidate referenced
    the ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education) National
    Educational Technology Standards (NETS) and Performance Indicators for
    Teachers. (http://cnets.iste.org/currstands/) I have some concerns about
    these guidelines and hope members of the group might direct me to an
    alternative, or help me adjust my thinking.

    The guidelines seem too general to be really useful to someone looking for
    anything like best practices. More importantly, however, the standards can
    be read as a blanket promotion of using technology to enhance learning and
    don't seem to reflect any sense of the critical thinking about the use of
    technology (included as a recommendation!).

    I'm wondering, then, if there is a set of guidelines for the adoption of
    educational technology that is more focused and reflective in its
    recommendations.

    Thanks in advance,

    Marshall Soules, Ph.D.
    Coordiantor, Media Studies