16.455 new on WWW: Virtual Reality Guide; CIT Infobits

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Feb 01 2003 - 02:42:55 EST

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (259)
             Subject: AHDS Resources: Virtual Reality Guide to Good
                     Practice; Workshop & Resources on GIS

       [2] From: Carolyn Kotlas <kotlas@email.unc.edu> (57)
             Subject: CIT INFOBITS -- January 2003

             Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 07:27:16 +0000
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>
             Subject: AHDS Resources: Virtual Reality Guide to Good Practice;
    Workshop & Resources on GIS

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    January 31, 2003

                      UK's Arts & Humanities Data Service Announces:
         Creating and Using Virtual Reality: a Guide for the Arts and Humanities
                      edited by Julian Richards and Kate Fernie
                        http://vads.ahds.ac.uk/guides/vr_guide/

                         and Workshop Report and Resources on
           Geographical Information Systems (GIS) in the Arts and Humanities
                           http://ahds.ac.uk/gis_workshop.htm

    >Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:07:38 -0000
    >From: Alastair Dunning <alastair.dunning@AHDS.AC.UK>

    The Arts & Humanities Data Service is pleased to announce the publication of
    a new Guide to Good Practice.
    'Creating and using virtual reality: a guide for the arts and humanities',
    edited by Julian Richards and Kate Fernie, concentrates on accessible
    desk-top virtual reality which may be distributed and viewed via the World
    Wide Web.

    The Guide introduces virtual reality to those who are interested in its use
    within the arts and humanities and incorporates illustrative case studies.
    It is geared to the needs of the creators of virtual reality (including
    artists, illustrators and computer scientists) and of organisations who are
    commissioning virtual reality (including museums, galleries, heritage
    agencies and university-based projects). It covers the history, philosophy
    and theory of virtual reality providing an introduction to the methods and
    techniques used and to good practices in planning virtual reality projects.
    The guide does not attempt to cover all virtual reality technologies. This
    is a rapidly developing field and new methods are continually emerging. An
    important consideration for all virtual reality projects will be ensuring
    that the models produced can be used and enjoyed by the audiences for which
    they are intended. This guide looks at how issues such as choice of virtual
    reality format, hardware and software platforms relate to audience
    requirements and also looks at the documentation procedures which support
    maintenance and resource discovery. A section of the guide explores
    longer-term strategies for preservation of virtual reality models as
    technology evolves.

    'Creating and using virtual reality: a guide for the arts and humanities'
    has been produced by the Archaeology Data Service and the Visual Arts Data
    Service and is online at:
    http://vads.ahds.ac.uk/guides/vr_guide/

    Alastair Dunning
    Arts and Humanities Data Service
    King's College London
    0207 9288 7848

                            Workshop Report and Resources on
           Geographical Information Systems (GIS) in the Arts and Humanities
                           http://ahds.ac.uk/gis_workshop.htm

    >Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 12:02:54 -0000
    >From: Alastair Dunning <alastair.dunning@ahds.ac.uk>
    >Subject: Resources in GIS

    Dear all,
    The AHDS recently hosted a workshop on the use of Geographical Information
    Systems (GIS) in the Arts and Humanities. Designed as an introduction to the
    subject, the workshop dealt with definitions of GIS, glimpsed at the study
    of time and space in the arts and humanities, considered software issues,
    and discussed the problems inherent in using and exploiting maps. It also
    had some case studies looking at how some projects have made use of GIS.

    The detailed presentations are now available on the AHDS website from
    http://ahds.ac.uk/gis_workshop.htm

    This page also contains an extensive suite of links on GIS. This includes
    links to Guides to Good Practice, sources of data, support services, example
    resources and other useful GIS-based tools.

    The page also includes details of reduced-price software and mapping data. A
    number of GIS / spatial analysis products are available to academic
    institutions under specially-negotiated Agreements through CHEST - the
    educational shop window for purchases of software, data, information,
    training materials and other IT related products. The majority of these
    Agreements are for site licences and if you are interested in any particular
    product you are advised to check with CHEST (helpdesk@chest.ac.uk) before
    placing an order, to establish whether your institution is already licensed.

    The Agreement covers several software packages (ArcInfo, MapInfo etc.) and a
    wide array of mapping data.

    Alastair

             Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 07:25:37 +0000
             From: Carolyn Kotlas <kotlas@email.unc.edu>

    CIT INFOBITS January 2003 No. 55 ISSN 1521-9275

    About INFOBITS

    INFOBITS is an electronic service of The University of North Carolina
    at Chapel Hill's Center for Instructional Technology. Each month the
    CIT's Information Resources Consultant monitors and selects from a
    number of information and instructional technology sources
    that come to her attention and provides brief notes for electronic
    dissemination to educators.

    The Pursuit of Well-Structured Content
    The TEACH Act and Distance Education
    Is Instructional Technology a Must for Learning?
    Distance Education Students and Attrition Rates
    Virtual Technical Reports Center
    Recommended Reading
    Editor's Request for Information
    Infobits Subscribers -- Where Are We in 2003?

    [material deleted]

    INFOBITS is also available online on the World Wide Web at
    http://www.unc.edu/cit/infobits/ (HTML format) and at
    http://www.unc.edu/cit/infobits/text/index.html (plain text format).