16.491 Kelvin's words

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 09:17:43 EST

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance) (43)
             Subject: Re: 16.479 Kelvin's "if ye canna, ye dinna!" ?

       [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (18)
             Subject: Kelvin's actual words

             Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 08:24:03 +0000
             From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)

    Willard,

    My apolgies for not respecting any culturally-driven demands for alacrity
    and not sending out a reply to spin out this thread a little further. I
    have a question. What is the context in which you would like to quote the
    words of Lord Kelvin, whose name is remembered by this school boy as
    connected with the very deep freeze of absolute zero? I ask because, in
    organisational design, practicioners and theorists invoke _functional_
    models before say going on to produce an org chart. And I do think that
    the mechanical-functional distinction has some salience in the worlds of
    humanities computing and not just as a hardware-software divide. Can you
    please provide more context for your invocation?

    Thanks for provoking the thinking process and your indulgence with our
    very very naive questions,

    Francois

    --
    Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large,
    knows no "no exit" in a hypertext

    --[2]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 08:49:49 +0000 From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> Subject: Kelvin's actual words

    I have it on good authority, from a curator in the Hunterian Gallery, University of Glasgow (http://www.hunterian.gla.ac.uk/), that the shorter, more emphatic version of Kelvin's statement is not genuine. Apparently what we know of the man, how he spoke and thought, would alone make the emphatic statement implausible.

    Readers of Humanist may recall I was looking for a similar statement from Marvin Minsky, which I have not found. (In his case, brashness is entirely plausible.) What I was wanting in both instances was a simple statement of the (partial) truth that we think by modelling.

    Kelvin has curiously attracted some rather odd attention. See the "Kelvin is Lord" page, http://zapatopi.net/lordkelvin.html, which comes up as the first in a Google search for "Lord Kelvin".