16.495 Digital Preservation Plan (U.S.); Scholarly Communication list

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 04:16:52 EST

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (114)
             Subject: Congress Approves Digital Preservation Plan

       [2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (62)
             Subject: New Scholarly Communication Listserv Begins Feb 24

             Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 08:36:20 +0000
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    February 18, 2003

              Congress Approves Plan for the National Digital Information
                    Infrastructure and Preservation Program (NDIIPP)
                  http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/ndiipp/index.html
                     http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2003/03-022.html

    >Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:21:53 -0500 (EST)
    >From: Ann Okerson <aokerson@pantheon.yale.edu>
    >To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
    >>
    >In case some of you haven't seen this, it's important national/library
    >news, two years in the making ... hopefully, this project will give a real
    >boost to the nation's e-preservation efforts. FYI, Ann Okerson

    _____

    LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
    Public Affairs Office
    101 Independence Avenue SE
    Washington DC 20540-1610
    phone (202) 707-2905
    fax (202) 707-9199
    e-mail pao@loc.gov

    February 14, 2003
    Contact: Guy Lamolinara (202) 707-9217, glam@loc.gov
    LIBRARY ANNOUNCES APPROVAL OF PLAN TO PRESERVE AMERICA'S DIGITAL
    HERITAGE

    Today the Librarian of Congress announced that the Library of Congress
    has received approval from the U.S. Congress for its "Plan for the
    National Digital Information Infrastructure and Preservation Program"
    (NDIIPP), which will enable the Library to launch the initial phase of
    BUILDING a national infrastructure for the collection and long-term
    preservation of digital content.

    "The Library of Congress is grateful for the continuing support that
    Congress has given us by asking us to lead this critical program to
    collect and preserve America's cultural and intellectual heritage in
    digital formats for generations to come," said Librarian of Congress
    James H. Billington. "Together with other federal agencies and the
    library, archival, university and private sector communities, we will
    work to develop a network of collaborative partners as well as a
    technical architecture that will provide the framework for digital
    preservation."

    Associate Librarian for Strategic Initiatives Laura Campbell is
    overseeing this effort for the Library. "I echo Dr. Billington's
    remarks and add that the Library of Congress has gained an enormous
    amount of knowledge from its partners in this initiative. We look
    forward to a continued successful collaboration as we work together to
    preserve digital materials before they are forever lost."

    Congressional approval of the "Plan for the National Digital Information
    Infrastructure and Preservation Program," means the Library can move
    forward with developing the details of the plan and Congress will
    release FUNDS for the next phase of NDIIPP. The NDIIPP legislation asks
    the Library to raise up to $75 million in private funds and in-kind
    contributions, which Congress will match dollar-for-dollar.
    Background

    In December 2000, Congress authorized the Library of Congress to develop
    and execute a congressionally approved plan for a National Digital
    Information Infrastructure and Preservation Program. A $99.8 million
    congressional appropriation was made to establish the program.
    According to Conference Report (H. Rept. 106-1033), "The overall plan
    should set forth a strategy for the Library of Congress, in
    collaboration with other federal and nonfederal entities, to identify a
    national network of libraries and other organizations with
    responsibilities for collecting digital materials that will provide
    access to and maintain those materials. ...

    In addition to developing this strategy, the plan shall set forth, in
    concert with the Copyright Office, the policies, protocols and
    strategies for the long-term preservation of such materials, including
    the technological infrastructure required at the Library of Congress."

    The legislation mandates that the Library work with federal entities
    such as the Secretary of Commerce, the Director of the White House
    Office of Science and Technology Policy, the National Archives and
    Records Administration, the National Library of Medicine, the National
    Agricultural Library, the National Institute of Standards and Technology
    and "other federal, research and private libraries and institutions with
    expertise in telecommunications technology and electronic commerce
    policy." The goal is to build a network of committed partners working
    through a preservation architecture of defined roles and
    responsibilities.

    The Library of Congress digital strategy is being formulated in concert
    with a study, commissioned by the Librarian of Congress, by the National
    Research Council Computer Science and Telecommunications Board. "LC 21:
    A Digital Strategy for the Library of Congress" was issued July 26,
    2000, and made several recommendations, including that the Library,
    working with other institutions, take the lead in the preservation and
    archiving of digital materials.

    The complete text of the "Plan for the National Digital Information
    Infrastructure and Preservation Program" is available at
    <http://www.digitalpreservation.gov>. This includes an explanation of how the
    plan was developed, who the Library worked with to develop the plan and
    the key components of the digital preservation infrastructure.

    The Library of Congress is the largest library in the world. Through
    its National Digital Library (NDL) Program, it is also one of the
    leading providers of noncommercial intellectual content on the Internet
    (www.loc.gov). The NDL Program's flagship American Memory project, in
    collaboration with 36 institutions nationwide, makes freely available
    millions of American historical items.