16.560 wireless

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty ) (willard@mccarty.me.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 03:03:29 EST

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 08:01:22 +0000
             From: Joel Goldfield <joel@cs.fairfield.edu>
             Subject: Re: 16.557 wireless & humanities computing?

    I was intrigued by Franois's recent posting as I am currently
    refitting a relatively small classroom for up to 30 students
    where the *faculty member* could do something similar, in an
    ergonomically agreeable fashion. No cabling will be needed
    for the faculty member's computer (no power cord, no network
    wiring, no audio-visual wiring). Depending on the results of
    the experiment, it may supply a model for many other small
    classrooms within our university. Within a month or so, my colleagues
    and I hope to be able to walk into a classroom and teach with a notebook
    computer. Materials needed to teach in this "smart classroom"
    (an existing collocation, I realize) will have already been prepared for
    delivery. A desktop computer may be added later for faculty not
    using laptop computers. Cable backup solutions will provide
    an alternative to wireless computing in case of any related
    malfunctions.

    Upon entering, the professor will find that his or her
    notebook computer will be automatically configured to the wireless access
    point and campus network if the computer is
    turned on. If it is not yet on, the network connection will occur
    once the computer has booted up and the professor has logged in.
    Electronic equipment other than the projector and laptop will generally
    be contained in a lockable
    rolling console in a front corner of the room. Similar kinds
    of arrangements have already occurred here and in other colleges
    and universities funded under a Pew grant for the redesign
    of introductory courses in biology, economics, math, etc.
    The emphasis in the current experiment is on the pedagogies and
    ergonomics of teaching with wireless technologies, not on the redesign
    of a particular course.

    In the next step, the faculty member will click on a desktop icon
    to have the notebook computer wirelessly connected to the
    data/video projector installed in
    the ceiling. Any textual, graphical, video or audio material
    will be directly transmitted from the computer to the projector,
    not even needing to pass through the network, although this is
    an option.

    Material can be projected either onto a pulldown or motorized
    screen in the front center of the classroom and from a 2nd projector,
    against a movie screen in the right front corner of the classroom
    (at a 45 degree angle to the wall). In this way, images can
    be left visible for an extended period of time for reference while
    more interactive activity takes place in the front
    center of the classroom.

    All material written by students or faculty on the front center
    board can be captured via a grid in the computer board to a computer file
    for archiving, including
    synchronization to any still images "written on" (annotated) in class
    and initially projected onto that computer board. Such material
    would be used by students and faculty for reference later in the
    course, for distance learning integration and, with the professor's
    authorization, for a collegial digital library server as part
    of holdings other faculty members might use in their own lessons
    and research. Of course, any computer board "pages" of class
    notes could also be printed out in black and white or color
    at the end of the class if a printer is available nearby or
    sent to the entire class via e-mail.

    Is this already being done by any HUMANIST readers' institutions?

    Sincerely,
    Joel Goldfield
    Fairfield University
    ======

               Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 08:33:01 +0000
               From: Francois Lachance <lachance@chass.utoronto.ca>

    Willard

    A short while ago James L. Morrison pointed pointed to the October 22
    Technology Source Author Forums and an interview with Carl Berger, one of
    the pioneers in using information technology tools in education
    http://ts.mivu.org/default.asp?show=article&id=995

    They discuss the next killer application in education. Prompted by
    Morrison, Berger offers a snippet of a vision of collaborative
    work-learning-play facilitated by technology.

    <quote>
    I envision a student walking to campus one day when, suddenly, something
    inside her book bag starts to chime. She reaches down and pulls out a
    miniature computer, one even smaller than what we have now. She opens it,
    because it is chiming to tell her that she has received a series of
    messages, notes, and comments concerning group assignments that she is
    completing for a class. Of course, the entire campus is wired; her
    notebook computer chimed because it knew she had walked onto campus. She
    sits down on a bench and opens several documents on her computer. She
    finds a pen and starts sketching on the screen and/or typing on the
    keyboard. She makes changes to an assignment, circles them, sends a note
    to one of her friends, sends another note to her professor, and closes her
    computer, which chimes with a different tone to let her know that all of
    her messages have been sent. She continues her walk across campus, never
    realizing that she just used the next killer app.
    </quote>

    I know that various campuses have been experimenting with wireless
    technologies. Are any observers or participants from humanities computing?

    Curious

    Francois

    Dr Willard McCarty | Senior Lecturer | Centre for Computing in the
    Humanities | King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS || +44 (0)20
    7848-2784 fax: -2980 || willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk
    www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/