16.622 preservation and absence

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 04:25:51 EDT

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: Patricia Galloway <galloway@ischool.utexas.edu> (32)
             Subject: Re: 16.617 preservation by digitization

       [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (54)
             Subject: reliance on the born-digital

             Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:15:45 +0100
             From: Patricia Galloway <galloway@ischool.utexas.edu>

    for replication of manuscript material for preservation, I have a comment
    to add. In the history of archival efforts in the US, the earliest steps
    taken were the collection, editing, and publication of documents--the
    National Historical Publications and Records Commission, a granting arm of
    the National Archives that supports long-running Great White Men publishing
    projects (and was recently discouraged from dropping them) is the remaining
    trace of that sentiment. But with the creation in the US of the National
    Archives, a sigh of relief was breathed, and efforts turned to establishing
    safe places (archives) and microfilming only the very most valuable
    materials. As Durusau observes, archives are beginning to look like prime
    targets these days. In the world of born-digital records we are trying to
    find solutions to long-term preservation that will include decentralized
    custodianship (one model for the preservation of digital scholarly journals
    is a peer-to-peer system called LOCKSS: Lots of Copies Keep Stuff Safe).
    This same task must be undertaken with images of archival materials, whose
    preservation requires the same effort as that of born-digital materials.
    The bad news is that market-driven changing technologies makes this kind of
    preservation costly, and the problem is far from solved. But it's
    interesting that in this respect the model of book publication (lots of
    copies...) has still not been outrun. More darkly: in the dire funding
    situation that archives find themselves, where state archives like
    Florida's and New Jersey's are even being done away with, as a cost-saving
    measure for digital preservation it may make sense to make use of spare
    disk space on the PCs of volunteer "friends" groups to store some of those
    copies. Lest this seem far-fetched, I report that right now the burned
    Bosnian libraries are being pieced together from photocopies made by
    researchers. One is reminded of Fahrenheit 451. What book or document will
    you decide to preserve?
    Pat Galloway
    School of Information
    University of Texas-Austin