16.624 preservation and absence

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2003 - 02:08:52 EDT

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: Elisabeth Burr <Elisabeth.Burr@uni-duisburg.de> (19)
             Subject: Re: 16.622 preservation and absence

       [2] From: John Lavagnino <John.Lavagnino@kcl.ac.uk> (59)

       [3] From: Patrick Durusau <pdurusau@emory.edu> (72)

       [4] From: Patricia Galloway <galloway@ischool.utexas.edu> (15)

             Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 06:57:26 +0100
             From: Elisabeth Burr <Elisabeth.Burr@uni-duisburg.de>

    Just a very short remark,

    when printing with movable letters was invented the tone was at least
    as triumphalistic (see Luther and many others).

    There are ways of keeping track. A good example seems to me the French
    Government site

    http://www.archives.premier-ministre.gouv.fr/home_ie.htm

    or the Digital Variants project:

    http://www.digitalvariants.org/

    I don't think, we are the preservers of knowledge per se. We preserve in
    any case only what we think interesting and valuable. Just think of what
    happened to women's contribution to culture, knowledge, science.

    Elisabeth

    HD Dr. Elisabeth Burr
    Fakultt 2 / Romanistik
    Universitt Duisburg-Essen