16.643 Visualizing dynamic experience of time?

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 02:06:32 EDT

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 07:00:47 +0100
             From: Jan Christoph Meister <jan-c-meister@uni-hamburg.de>
             Subject: Visualizing dynamic experience of time

    22:47
    28.04.2003

    Dear Colleagues,

    I wonder wether anybody has ideas, information, examples, links etc. with
    regard to the following:

    I want to visualize the dynamic experience of time (to be more
    specific, the experience of time as mediated by narratives. But that's
    not really important here.)

    By dynamic I mean that if a perceiving subject in a world W
    moves along a time line from t1 to tn, he/she will at any given 'point
    in time' (= position on the absolute time line) have different information
    available as to what time phenomena lie/ occur in his/her subjective
    (and hence relative) future, past and present. So the subject's model
    of how events and phenomena are temporally located in W and how time on a
    whole is structured in W will continuously change.

    An added difficulty is that the perceiving subject will only be able
    to accumulate information about the time indexes of phenomena in a
    step by step fashion (meaning that a certain amount of time
    data will be available at t1, and that the additional time data
    available at t2 might then totally change the entire picture.)
    Moreover, some of the information he/she gets will be absolute ("x
    occurs at 14.00 GMT on 28.04.03"); other information will be relative
    ("X occurs after Y; Y will occur after Z").

    I discussed this already with Willard who suggested some sort of
    animated visualization. I'd be most grateful for any futher ideas!

    Chris

    Jan Christoph Meister
    Forschergruppe Narratologie
    Universitt Hamburg

    NarrNet - the Information hub for Narratologists:
                 www.narratology.net
    My site: www.rrz.uni-hamburg.de/JC.Meister
    Mail: jan-c-meister@uni-hamburg.de
    Office: +49 - 40 - 42838 4994