16.650 consumptive humanities

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 02:15:51 EDT

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: cwulfman <cwulfman@perseus.tufts.edu> (26)
             Subject: Re: 16.646 consumptive humanities [degradation]

       [2] From: Norman Hinton <hinton@springnet1.com> (8)
             Subject: Re: 16.646 consumptive humanities

       [3] From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@mulberrytech.com> (153)

             Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 06:46:35 +0100
             From: cwulfman <cwulfman@perseus.tufts.edu>

    I'd like to address Stephen Ramsay's comments---as someone who has
    traversed the technology-humanities "divide" several times (my vita bares
    the traces), I cheerfully confess to having been quite thoroughly degraded.
    Like Stephen, I read encoding as interpretation, and vice versa, and I try
    to impart the same in my teaching: learn to erode disciplinary escarpments
    that impede progressive understanding (a humanistic goal if ever there was
    one).

    Perhaps, though, Stephen's metaphor of "going deep into the machine"
    suggests the shifting of knowledge strata required for well-informed
    humanistic study. Mastery of Latin and Greek was once prerequisite to
    serious scholarship, but that requirement has been eroded in most
    sub-disciplines as the objectives of scholarly pursuit have changed. Were
    there world enough and time, one would surely strive to achieve prospective
    knowledge, but in our professional lives we seem to labor in the mines:
    even as we traverse the synclines and anticlines, we look for the most
    productive veins (those yielding the most valuable ore in the current coin
    of the realm) and delve deepest there. Will the most valuable ore for the
    humanities next come from within the machine? If so, what are the best
    tools with which to equip ourselves and our students to pursue it? If one
    had to choose, would one favor the software engineering pick-axe or the
    logic and semiotics astrolabe? (I'll take both, thank you, along with my
    linguistics shovel and my philosophical drill, and a pack-full of good books.)

    Clifford E. Wulfman
    Editor for Literature in English
    Perseus Project
    Tufts University