17.034 The Internet, Humanism and Interdisciplinary Studies

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Sat May 24 2003 - 03:09:04 EDT

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 07:53:42 +0100
             From: rddescha <rddescha@dal.ca>
             Subject: The Internet, Humanism and Interdisciplinary Studies

    Hi there,

    I am interested in hearing anyone's experience about using collaborative
    software (webct/yahoo groups etc.) for interdisciplinary seminar-style
    courses: especially those with a geographic/ethnographic slant (Canadian
    Studies, American Studies, African Studies, Eastern European Studies etc.).

    For example, I could imagine the ability for student(s) to engage in
    discussion with many professors from many disciplines through chat sessions or
    newsgroups being something that would be very rewarding, but does it work in
    practise? Are students and/or professors usually willing to participate in
    such things?

    Thanks in advance for your input!

    Sincerely,

    Ryan. . .

    Ryan Deschamps

    MLIS/MPA Candidate -- Faculty of Management, Dalhousie University