17.038 nesting and linear narratives

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 02:10:55 EDT

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@mulberrytech.com> (21)
             Subject: Re: 17.032 nesting and linear narratives

       [2] From: Virginia Knight <virginia.knight@bristol.ac.uk> (20)
             Subject: linear narratives and nesting

             Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 06:56:21 +0100
             From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@mulberrytech.com>

    Willard and all,

    Thanks to everyone who's responded so far on my "nesting of narrative"
    question. (Thanks especially to Ryan Deschamps for the Symposium reference.
    Of course! This is also an interesting example on the cusp of a shift
    between oral and literary, perhaps where the literary "breaks out". Chaucer
    is also in an interesting shift between oral and literary, at any rate if
    the Tales were meant for oral presentation.)

    Part of why I'm interested in whether there's a distinction apparent here
    between oral and literary narratives is that I wonder whether the literary,
    because of both its means of composition (signs on a page as well as sounds
    in the air) and its means of transmission, doesn't "tolerate" deeper
    nesting. Plato and Chaucer (experimenters with written forms) giving us
    such deep examples may lend weight to this idea.

    Nonetheless, I agree whole-heartedly that it is evidently an ancient (and
    beautifully effective) technique of drawing attention to the contingency
    and, frequently, dubiousness, of what we hear and see, the narrativity of
    narrative....

    I'll also have to return to Calvino's "If on a Winter's Night a Traveller",
    which IIRC deals rather directly with this.

    Cheers,
    Wendell