17.048 report from Athens

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Jun 01 2003 - 15:07:02 EDT

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 20:04:22 +0100
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: report from Athens

    Dear colleagues,

    This is not a full report on the ACH/ALLC conference now in progress at the
    University of Georgia in Athens GA. Rather it is a single reflection on the
    most directly visible manifestation of our community. While it is true that
    our numbers are small, even in relation to the size of Humanist, the signs
    of genuine strength are everywhere here. A young postgraduate student
    remarked to me how much more welcoming and simultaneously challenging this
    community is in comparison to the other parts of the academic world she has
    encountered. And today I saw this in particularly vivid form, in a paper
    that took the form of a dramatic dialogue between Geoffrey Rockwell and
    Stephen Ramsey, "Programming as Writing as Programming" -- Socratic,
    Phaedrus-like and great good stimulating fun.

    Next year the conference is being held in Goteborg, Sweden. Not your last
    chance.

    Dr Willard McCarty | Senior Lecturer | Centre for Computing in the
    Humanities | King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS || +44 (0)20
    7848-2784 fax: -2980 || willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk
    www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/