17.071 an engineer's understanding

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 09 2003 - 02:18:36 EDT

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 07:07:45 +0100
             From: lachance@origin.chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)
             Subject: Re: 17.063 an engineer's understanding

    Willard,

    I think that the passage you quote has three terms in play: "system",
    "machine" and "equivalent". Having followed your meditations on models
    (and their purposes), I think I might be able to translate your three
    questions into one: how is it that a model which ostensibly represents a
    pattern of experience (history of a system) comes to be used as an
    instrument to discover novelty (limits of a system)? My transaltion asks
    you if your question is indeed: How is a model to serve a mode of
    exploration? Is there an answer in the practice of question-making and
    testing the adequacy of the equivalency or model. And is not such a
    practice a dialogical enterprise? And if so, the "we" is split between the
    articulators and the non-articulators : some of us formulate models; some
    of us formulate the naive questions. Or read literally "an engineer
    understands _ellipsis_" and interpret modelling as akin to a poesis of
    difference :)

    --
    <sigilla>
    <civic.name>Fran&ccedil;ois Lachance</civic.name>