17.070 research access

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 09 2003 - 02:18:03 EDT

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 07:06:30 +0100
             From: "Leo Robert Klein" <leo@leoklein.com>
             Subject: RE: THES article on research access Friday June 6 2003

    On Sat, 07 Jun 2003, Stevan Harnad wrote:

    > One natural way to measure research impact would be to adopt the
    > approach of the web search engine Google. Google measures the importance
    > of a website. It does this by rank-ordering search results according to
    > how many other websites link to them: the more links, the higher the
    > rank. This works amazingly well, but it is far too crude for measuring
    > research impact, which is about how much a paper is being used by other
    > researchers. There is, however, a cousin of web links that researchers
    > have been using for decades as a measure of impact: citations.

    Funny, I've often wondered why database vendors don't look into this. I
    mean, with all the interest in improving search results in subscription
    databases, you'd think this would be a promising way to go. Operations like
    ISI seem pre-built for such an approach. Other vendors with growing
    collections of full-text material could do the same.

    LEO
    Leo Robert Klein
    http://leoklein.com