17.089 streaming video for lecture series

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Jun 15 2003 - 03:46:19 EDT

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 08:44:13 +0100
             From: Matt Kirschenbaum <mgk3k@jefferson.village.Virginia.EDU>
             Subject: Re: 17.087 streaming video for lecture series?

    I agree with Patrick Durusau wholeheartedly; what's more, in most cases,
    I think audio alone is probably sufficient. The Electronic Literature
    Organization's recent "e(X)literature" conference on preserving
    technologically endangered works of electronic fiction and poetry
    (co-sponsored with the University of California's Digital Cultures
    project) adopted just such an approach, with complete MP3s of all the
    talks, including speaker introductions and audience Q&A:

    http://dc-mrg.english.ucsb.edu/conference2003.html

    In most cases full-text papers or slides are available too. We've
    already heard from people who have used and appreciated these resources
    who were not able to be at the event in person.

    Obviously this kind of documentation imposes more technological overhead
    on those running an event, but think of the possibilities: computing
    humanists could trade their favorite conference mixes with one another
    and we could all walk around listening to great talks on our iPods. Matt