17.112 streaming video

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Jun 21 2003 - 03:49:24 EDT

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 08:45:45 +0100
             From: "Patrik Svensson" <patrik.svensson@engelska.umu.se>
             Subject: RE: 17.087 streaming video for lecture series?

    Dear all,

    We use streaming regularly in our seminar series, and I agree with
    Matt's point about the overhead /cost/. You need the necessary
    technology (which does not need to be very expensive), and more
    importantly, you need people who know how to use it (or who are willing
    to learn it). We do not normally post power point slides etc., but have
    them integrated into the film.

    We do live streaming as well as archiving, and these days we also have a
    moderated chat room available. The chat room is projected on a second
    screen in the lab, and is a way of creating presence. The local audience
    can see who is present in the chat room as well what the virtual
    participants have to "say". See
    http://www.it.rit.edu/~ell/mamamusings/archives/000077.html for a screen
    shot of what it might look like for a user. For us, it is a way of
    actively using technology ourselves and making the most of bringing
    interesting guests to our environment.

    If you are interested, here are a couple of links to streams of recent
    HUMlab seminars:

    Katherine Hayles: Computing the Human
    rtsp://www2.humlab.umu.se:7070/archive/humlabseminariet/katherine_hayles
    .rm

    Mark Stephen Meadows: Parallax: The Role of Perspective in Reactive
    Stories
    rtsp://www2.humlab.umu.se:7070/archive/humlabseminariet/20030226_meadows
    .rm

    Brenda Laurel: Transmedia Design
    rtsp://www2.humlab.umu.se:7070/archive/humlabseminariet/brenda_laurel.rm

    We are learning all the time, and soon (hopefully), we will install a
    new lighting system to improve lighting conditions. If there is interest
    I will post information about fall semester seminars when we have the
    program ready.

    Patrik Svensson

    Patrik Svensson, HUMlab, Ume University, Sweden
    http://www.humlab.umu.se/patrik/
    http://www.humlab.umu.se/