17.133 the hammer of art (or computing, for that matter)

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 05:42:24 EDT

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (51)
             Subject: the hammer of art

       [2] From: rddescha <rddescha@dal.ca> (5)
             Subject: RE: 17.131 quotation from Brecht -- or Marx?

       [3] From: rddescha <rddescha@dal.ca> (5)

       [4] From: Norman Hinton <hinton@springnet1.com> (7)

             Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 10:21:44 +0100
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>

    With regards to the authorship of "Art is not a mirror held up to reality
    but a hammer with which to shape it", as requested again in Humanist
    17.131, I've turned up the following from Leon Trotsky, "Futurism", in
    Literature and Revolution (1924; rpt. New
    York, 1957), online at
    http://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/works/1924/lit_revo/. (I have
    corrected a few typos but not checked this against a hardcopy edition.)
    Note that Trotsky himself cites it as something like a proverb, though in
    this translation the words are not quite what was asked for.

    >The error of the "Left", at least of some of its theorists, appears to us
    >in its most generalized form, when they make an ultimatum for the fusion
    >of art with life. It is not to be argued that the separation of art from
    >other aspects of social life was the result of the class structure of
    >society, that the self-sufficient character of art is merely the reverse
    >side of the fact that art became the property of the privileged classes,
    >and that the evolution of art in the future will follow the path of a
    >growing fusion with life, that is, with production, with popular holidays
    >and with the collective group life. It is good that the "Left" understands
    >this and explains it. But it is not good when they present a short time
    >ultimatum on the basis of the present day art, when they say: leave your
    >"lathe" and fuse with life. In other words, the poets, the painters, the
    >sculptors, the actors must cease to reflect, to depict, to write poems, to
    >paint pictures, to carve sculptures, to speak before the footlights, but
    >they must carry their art directly into life. But how, and where, and
    >through what gates? Of course, one may hail every attempt to carry as much
    >rhythm and sound and color as is possible into popular holidays and
    >meetings and processions. But one must have a little historic vision, at
    >least, to understand that between our present day economic and cultural
    >poverty and the time of the fusion of art with life, that is, between the
    >time when life will reach such proportions that it will be entirely formed
    >by art, more than one generation will have come and gone. Whether for good
    >or for bad, the "lathelike" art will remain for many years more, and will
    >be the instrument of the artistic and social development of the masses and
    >their sthetic enjoyment, and this is true not only of the art of
    >painting, but of lyrics, novels, comedies, tragedies, sculpture and
    >symphony. To reject art as a means of picturing and imaging knowledge
    >because of one's opposition to the contemplative and impressionistic
    >bourgeois art of the last few decades, is to strike from the hands of the
    >class which is building a new society its most important weapon. Art, it
    >is said, is not a mirror, but a hammer: it does not reflect, it shapes.
    >But at present even the handling of a hammer is taught with the help of a
    >mirror, a sensitive film which records all the movements. Photography and
    >motion-picture photography, owing to their passive accuracy of depiction,
    >are becoming important educational instruments in the field of labor. If
    >one cannot get along without a mirror, even in shaving oneself, how can
    >one reconstruct oneself or one's life, without seeing oneself in the
    >"mirror" of literature? Of course no one speaks about an exact mirror. No
    >one even thinks of asking the new literature to have a mirror-like
    >impassivity. The deeper literature is, and the more it is imbued with the
> [...]

    Dr Willard McCarty | Senior Lecturer | Centre for Computing in the
    Humanities | King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS || +44 (0)20
    7848-2784 fax: -2980 || willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk
    www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/