17.190 conferences

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2003 - 04:10:32 EDT

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: zuern@hawaii.edu (89)
             Subject: cfp: Computers and Writing Conference

       [2] From: mailing@ichim.org (27)
             Subject: paris -- ichim 03 -- september

             Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 09:04:04 +0100
             From: zuern@hawaii.edu

    Call for Proposals
    Computers and Writing Conference
    June 10-13, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawai'i

    Submission deadline: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 via the electronic
    submission form on the conference web site
    <http://www.hawaii.edu/cw2004/>.
    Email address: cw2004@hawaii.edu

    The Twentieth Computers and Writing Conference will meet in Honolulu,
    Hawai'i from Thursday, June 10 to Sunday, June 13, 2004, hosted by the
    Department of Language Arts at University of Hawai'i Kapi'olani Community
    College and the Department of English at the University of Hawai'i at
    Manoa.

    The conference theme, Writing in Globalization: Currents, Waves, Tides,
    points to the immense but sometimes unrecognized impact of globalization
    on the cultural, social, linguistic, and institutional contexts in which
    we work. Many people in the computers and writing community are
    incorporating perspectives on globalization into our research and
    teaching, trying to understand how global systems intersect with our local
    engagements with information technology, writing instruction, rhetoric,
    literary studies, distance learning initiatives, and our personal writing
    practices.

    We invite proposals for papers, panels, roundtables, workshops, and poster
    presentations.
    See the conference web site for details on formats.
    Presentation topics might include, but are not limited to:

    * Local Knowledges, Global Systems
    * Distance Learning in the Global Marketplace
    * Computers, Writing, and the Future of Work
    * Languages, Technologies, and Bodies
    * Teaching Writing and Literature in Postcolonial/Neocolonial/Imperial
    Contexts
    * English and Other Languages
    * Alternative Rhetorics in Emerging Networks
    * Diversifying Hypertext/Multimedia Theory and Practice
    * Writing and Visual/Spatial Design
    * Activist Writing in the Classroom and the World
    * Computers and Writing Across Disciplines
    * Computers and Writing Across Levels of Education
    * Assessment in Computers and Writing
    * Community Action and Community Computing
    * Professional Issues in Computers and Writing

    All proposals must be received by Wednesday, October 15, 2003. Submissions
    will be accepted beginning September 8, 2003, and must be sent through the
    conference web site at <http://www.hawaii.edu/cw2004>. Program
    participants will be selected through an anonymous peer review process.

    Discussion List
    The local organizers will host a discussion list to keep prospective
    attendees up to date on conference developments. Go to
    <http://www.hawaii.edu/cw2004/discussion.html> for details on how to
    subscribe.

    Conference Program
    The conference will include panels, poster sessions, roundtable
    discussions, and town hall meetings. As in the past, the conference will
    partner with the Graduate Research Network, the mentoring program, and the
    Computers and Writing 2004 Online Conference. Attendees will also have the
    opportunity to visit Hawai'i-based projects and schools that are
    integrating writing, computing, and community service in innovative ways.

    Keynote Speakers
       * Nancy Kaplan, Director of the School of Information Arts and
    Technologies and Professor in the School of Communications Design,
    University of Baltimore

    * Douglas Kellner, George F. Kneller Philosophy of Education Chair, Social
    Sciences and Comparative Education, UCLA

    * Stuart Moulthrop, Professor in the School of Information Arts and
    Technologies and the School of Communications Design, University of
    Baltimore

    Contact Conference Hosts:
    Judi Kirkpatrick
    Department of Language Arts
    Kapi'olani Community College
    kirkpatr@hawaii.edu

    Darin Payne
    Department of English
    University of Hawai'i at Manoa
    darinp@hawaii.edu

    John Zuern
    Department of English
    University of Hawai'i at Manoa
    zuern@hawaii.edu

    Phone: 808.734.9331

    John Zuern
    Associate Professor, Department of English
    Kuykendall Hall 402, 1733 Donaghho Road
    University of Hawai`i
    Honolulu, HI 96822
    zuern@hawaii.edu (808) 956-3019 fax: (808) 956-3083