17.214 changes at Bergen, Norway

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty ) (willard@mccarty.me.uk)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 05:03:04 EDT

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 09:35:44 +0100
             From: anne.lindebjerg@aksis.uib.no
             Subject: information from the HIT Centre, University of Bergen

    Apologies for multiple postings

    Dear friend of the HIT Centre,
    We would like to inform you that the HIT Centre (Centre for Humanities
    Information Technologies) at the University of Bergen has been split into
    two research groups as of August 1st this year:
    · The Research Group for Text Technology
    · The Research Group for Language Technology

    The Research Group for Text Technology comprises our activities and
    projects connected with text encoding and editorial philology, of which the
    Wittgenstein Archive and our participation in the Text Encoding Initiative
    are the most important. The leader of the group is Associate Professor
    <http://www.aksis.uib.no/people/?/$present&id=79>Daniel
    Apollon<http://www.aksis.uib.no/people/?/$present&id=79>. Please feel free
    to contact him for more information.

    The Research Group for Language Technology comprises our activities related
    to language technology, computational linguistics, corpus linguistics,
    terminology and lexicography. Many of the projects in this group are run in
    close collaboration with the Section for Linguistic Studies at the
    University of Bergen. The activities connected with our participation in
    ICAME (International Computer Archive of Modern and Medieval English)
    belong to this group as well. The leader of the group is Professor
    <http://www.aksis.uib.no/people/?/$present&id=28>Gjert
    <http://www.aksis.uib.no/people/?/$present&id=28>Kristoffersen, whom you
    are most welcome to contact if you have further questions.

    The two new groups are both immediate parts of
    <http://www.aksis.uib.no/>Aksis<http://www.aksis.uib.no/>, which in its
    turn is part of the research foundation UNIFOB AS, owned by the University
    of Bergen. The two other research groups that belong to Aksis are The
    Centre for Cultural Research (formerly The Centre for the Study of European
    Civilization), led by Professor
    <http://www.aksis.uib.no/people/?/$present&id=5>Siri
    Meyer<http://www.aksis.uib.no/people/?/$present&id=5> and InterMedia
    Bergen, led by Professor
    <http://www.aksis.uib.no/people/?/$present&id=33>Barbara Wasson.

    This means that the HIT Centre itself does not exist anymore, but most of
    the former activities have been transferred to the two new research groups.

    Yours sincerely

    Gjert Kristoffersen
    Research Director

    Dr Willard McCarty | Senior Lecturer | Centre for Computing in the
    Humanities | King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS || +44 (0)20
    7848-2784 fax: -2980 || willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk
    www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/