17.229 critical reflections on publishing

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty ) (willard@mccarty.me.uk)
Date: Sun Sep 07 2003 - 04:32:29 EDT

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 09:30:49 +0100
             From: Norman Hinton <hinton@springnet1.com>
             Subject: Re: 17.228 critical reflections on publishing

    Since several people have expressed surprise or disbelief to me either here
    or in private e-mails let me say that I have known a number of people whose
    on-line materials have disappeared as their institutions changed computer
    policies,e tc., usually without telling them.

    And my university wiped out 10 years of my own research files (for which,
    believing then in computer age PR, I had no hard copy) when it decided to
    change computer companies and did not bother to inform any of the faculty
    about it.

    Also, I know people whose works have been made unreachable by technological
    changes -- a very good example is the old CDC machines with their 60-bit
    variables and double precision arithmetic, while another is the change in
    floppies, etc. I realize the WEb dopes not use floppies but I am not
    willing to assume its benevolence or that of those who oversee its local
    manifestations.

    I hope that all those who trust naively in the Web and the Net never see
    their work disappear forever.