17.326 Lederberg on publication

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 01:30:31 EDT

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 06:21:13 +0100
             From: Norman Hinton <hinton@springnet1.com>
             Subject: Re: 17.321 Lederberg on priorities in publication

    Well, Willard,I'd start by saying that Lederburg clearly has a totally
    different notion of "primary literature" than we have in Lit -- I guess his
    is works by scientists (?) and ours is poetry, novels, drama, etc. and
    while he can I guess insist that his primary lit is inviolable, ours
    certainly is not: just compare different editions of many classic and
    medieval works (and later too -- see the newer Shakespeare editions) to see
    great differences in text, etc. Some of these differences make for major
    changes in interpretation -- cf recent editions of King Lear, for instance.