17.348 book recommendation

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 03:16:10 EST

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 07:54:36 +0000
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: book recommendation

    Dear colleagues:

    Everyone concerned with publication issues (and everyone should be, no?)
    will be interested in and profit from reading the essays in Brian L.
    Hawkins and Patricia Battin, eds., The Mirage of Continuity: Reconfiguring
    Academic Information Resources for the 21st Century (Washington DC: Council
    on Library and Information Resources and the Association of American
    Universities, 1998). See http://www.clir.org/pubs/abstract/pub75.html for
    ordering information. Particularly valuable, I think, are the high-level
    views of universities, university libraries, publishers and other
    organizations and groups as components in an interrelated social system.
    The overviews are mostly American but mutatis mutandis very valuable for
    the rest of us also.

    In thinking and writing about scholarship, the electronic medium, the
    digital library, open-access publishing and so on, it's very easy not to
    see the interrelatedness of parts and so to miss the high probability that
    any change we make will have system-wide effects. Of course a mere systems
    analysis cannot sketch out the future for us accurately; all is contingent
    on historical factors we cannot control and those we cannot foresee. But
    the bigger pictures can, I think, help us to avoid the grosser errors,
    including the silliness of much punditry and slogan-driven crusades.

    Dr Willard McCarty | Senior Lecturer | Centre for Computing in the
    Humanities | King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS || +44 (0)20
    7848-2784 fax: -2980 || willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk
    www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/