17.365 God and the Sun?

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 01:41:19 EST

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

    [Please respond directly to Mr Anderson as well as to Humanist. --WM]

             Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 06:19:50 +0000
             From: Patrick Anderson <anderspd@lsbu.ac.uk>
             Subject: God and the Sun?

    Dear Webmaster

    After several weeks of fruitless badgering of friends and colleagues, I
    am turning to your discussion group for help in identifying a putative
    quote from (again, I am very tentative here) a French Symbolist or
    Romantic poet, possibly Baudelaire, possibly not. As quoted to me in
    English some 7 years ago, it ran something like "God and the Sun cannot
    look at each other", or alternately, "God and the Sun cannot look each
    other in the eye". Does this ring any bells with anyone?

    Many thanks and good wishes to your group.

    Patrick Anderson
    London South Bank University.