17.383 anti-Irish et al. computing

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 03:02:24 EST

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: François Crompton-Roberts (11)
             Subject: Re: 17.380 anti-Irish computing

       [2] From: "Jim Marchand" <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> (18)
             Subject: anti-Irish computing

             Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 07:45:09 +0000
             From: François Crompton-Roberts

    The inanities of the automatic processing of personal information are,
    thankfully, too numerous and varied to list exhaustively. My favourite I
    encountered at a conference on electronic typesetting in the 1980s. One
    of the participants, the MD of a printing firm here in the UK, had
    filled-in the registration form with his name "Sir Peter whatever" (I
    forget the surname). The organisers had produced a lapel badge from this
    information with software which did know about Doctors and Professors
    but didn't know about knighthoods. So he went proudly about with a badge
    that read "Call me Sir"! Could we say this was being anti-British?

    François (the cedilla often causes problems) Crompton-Roberts (so does
    the hyphen on occasion).