17.432 new on WWW: article in The Serials Librarian

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 05:20:29 EST

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 10:05:14 +0000
             From: Gerry Mckiernan <gerrymck@IASTATE.EDU>
             Subject: New Age Navigation: Innovative e-Journal Interfaces

    _New Age Navigation: Innovative E-Journal Interfaces_

    I am pleased to announce the formal publication of my latest Magnum Opus [:-)

    "New Age Navigation: Innovative Information Interfaces for Electronic
    Journals" _The Serials Librarian_ 45(2)(2003): 87-123

    ABSTRACT. While it is typical for electronic journals to offer conventional
    search features similar to those provided by electronic databases, a select
    number of e-journals have also made available higher-level access options
    as well. In this article, we review several novel technologies and
    implementations that creatively exploit the inherent potential of the
    digital environment to further facilitate use of e-collections. We conclude
    with speculation on the functionalities of a next-generation e-journal
    interface that are likely to emerge in the near future.

    A offprint/preprint copy of the article is available at [
    http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/NewAge.pdf ]

    The article served as the basis of a presentation I gave at the _Internet
    Librarian 2003 Conference_ [ http://www.infotoday.com/il2003/] in
    Monterey, California in early November.

    [BTW: A *Most* Excellent Conference] [
    http://www.infotoday.com/il2003/presentations/default.htm ]

    The conference version of my presentation is available at
    [http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/NewAgeIL.ppt ] [*********1.6 MB
    FILE****************************]

    and the Director's Cut [:-) at

    [http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/NewAge.ppt ]
    **********[LARGE FILE 3.4 MB]******************

        As Aways, I'd appreciate Any and All comments, queries, critiques,
    questions, or Cosmic Insights relating to the themes of Such Musings
    {:-) .

    Regards,

    /Gerry

    Gerry McKiernan
    New Age Librarian
    Iowa State University
    Ames AI 50011

    gerrymck@iastate.edu

    As we know,
    There are known knowns.
    There are things we know we know.
    We also know
    There are known unknowns.
    That is to say
    We know there are some things
    We do not know.
    But there are also unknown unknowns,
    The ones we don't know
    We don't know.

    Donald Rumsfeld
    -Feb. 12, 2002, Department of Defense news briefing

    [http://slate.msn.com/id/2081042/ ]