17.438 taking exception to pop-ups

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 03:09:36 EST

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@rmit.edu.au> (30)
             Subject: Re: 17.435 taking exception to pop-ups

       [2] From: DrWender@aol.com (24)

       [3] From: Norman Hinton <hinton@SPRINGNET1.COM> (2)

             Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 07:52:39 +0000
             From: Adrian Miles <adrian.miles@rmit.edu.au>

    On 07/12/2003, at 8:49 PM, Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard
    McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>) wrote:

    >I think of a different solution, i.e. that pages of academic interest
    >be hosted by academic, that is university, servers, whose pages are
    >without unnecessary pop-ups and free of charge. At least this is
    >my experience. Responsibles should be encouraged to be
    >broadminded about the "afference" of research results to their
    >institution, in case such research does not directly depend on
    >one of their departments etc.

    Minor correction. They are not hosted free of charge. Bandwidth is always
    paid for by someone. Here at RMIT it is at the local (department level). It
    used to be at the university level.

    At the moment the department and the university are sanguine about
    bandwidth for legitimate purposes (a conference I ran got slashdotted and
    we managed I think 5Gg of downloads in a couple of days), but very
    aggressive if they think it is mp3s and so on.

    I agree that content should be hosted by us in the academy while this
    situation is the case. Personally I host some content for others, and
    regularly invite people to use the server I control for their projects.
    Many people seem not to realise that while server space, commercial, free,
    or institutional, is cheap, bandwidth is not. It is bandwidth that we in
    the institutions can provide.

    So, if there are any electronic scholars out there, get in touch. I have an
    electronic scholar's proposal ready and waiting!

    cheers
    Adrian Miles
    hypertext.rmit || hypertext.rmit.edu.au
    interactive networked video || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog
    research blog || hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/