17.469 "information"

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 03:27:23 EST

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:02:39 +0000
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: "information"

    Many here, I suspect, will be interested in the following comprehensive
    survey and analysis of the notoriously difficult term "information":

    Rafael Capurro and Birger Hjørland, "The Concept of Information", in B.
    Cronin, ed., Annual Review of Information Science and Technology 37 (2002):
    343-411 (draft version at http://www.capurro.de/infoconcept.html).

    (Praise be to those who "self-archive" their papers in this fashion!)

    Unfortunately Capurro and Hjørland miss my favourite discussion of this
    term, Geoffrey Nunberg, "Farewell to the information age", in G. Nunberg,
    ed., The Future of the Book (Berkeley: University of California Press,
    1996): 103-38 (draft version at
    http://ecot.rice.edu/~Tony.Gorry/NunbergFarewell.pdf). But they do consider
    the humanities at some length and capture a great deal in their broad sweep.

    Capurro has the charming suggestion of a new term, "angeletics" (cognate
    with "angel"), for the science of messages; see his article on the subject
    at http://www.capurro.de/angeletics.html.

    Dr Willard McCarty | Senior Lecturer | Centre for Computing in the
    Humanities | King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS || +44 (0)20
    7848-2784 fax: -2980 || willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk
    www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/