17.470 digital preservation

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 03:27:49 EST

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:18:35 +0000
             From: Maurizio Lana <m.lana@lett.unipmn.it>
             Subject: Re: 17.465 digital preservation

    At 12.14 16/12/2003, Spencer Tasker <spencer@tasker.info> wrote:
    >Maurizio Lana correctly identified some of the false assumptions
    >of the Garfinkel article, however, there are a couple of points
    >which I should like to add.
    [...]

    I too would like to add something to the discussion, and would like to
    point all of the humanists who can read in italian to the following article:
    "attenti, col digitale non si tramanda" (something like "beware, what's
    digital can't be left as a legacy"),
    http://www.apogeonline.com/webzine/2003/12/11/01/200312110101, coming from
    the newsletter "apogeonline", and written by Paolo Attivissimo
    (www.attivissimo.org).
    He points out that while one could think of rebuilding from scratch an old
    grammophone, and actually do it, the same is not true for - say - an old
    Sinclair Z80, or any piece of electronic hardware, after the stop of the
    industrial flow which produced it.

    maurizio

    Maurizio Lana - ricercatore
    Dipartimento di Studi Umanistici - Università del Piemonte Orientale a Vercelli
    via Manzoni 8, I-13100 Vercelli
    +39 347 7370925