17.625 OCR for Greek? sources on the paradigm shift?

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 03:58:30 EST

<x-flowed>
                     Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

   [1] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (35)
         Subject: Query about OCR for Ancient Greek

   [2] From: n.thieberger@LINGUISTICS.UNIMELB.EDU.AU (32)
         Subject: theoretical shift

         Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 08:35:32 +0000
         From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>

Dear colleagues:

Following a query from someone faced with scanning a mixture of Italian and
ancient Greek. She mentions software packages I have not heard of, which I
take to be a sign of some progress at the technical end of things, or at
least more variety of choice. If you have advice for Ms Gritti, please send
it directly to her as well as to Humanist. It is time we revisited this topic!

>From: "Gritti Elena" <e.gritti@libero.it>
>>Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 23:53:49 +0100
>
>Dear Prof. McCarty,
>my name is Elena Gritti and on January I submitted a Ph.D. dissertation
>about Exegesis and dialectic in Proclus' philosophical thought and works
>to the Faculty of Philosophy at the State University of Milan, Italy.
>
>Since I know the Humanist Discussion Group, if you don't mind I would like
>to ask you a technical advice. Recently I joined a project which involves
>the necessity of scanning pages that are written in italian mixed with
>ancient greek; there are also greek fragments, often corrupted, and
>critical apparatus. I've found that exist some OCR software such as
>FineReader 7.0, Anagnostis 4.0 and the last releases of Omnipage Pro.
>What is, in your opinion, the best and most effective way to solve the
>problem?
>
>I would be very grateful to you for your advice.
>Yours sincerely,
>Elena Gritti

Dr Willard McCarty | Senior Lecturer | Centre for Computing in the
Humanities | King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS || +44 (0)20
7848-2784 fax: -2980 || willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk
www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/