17.689 what complexity is

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 06 2004 - 02:55:47 EST

<x-flowed>
                     Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

   [1] From: Carolyn Rude <carolynr@vt.edu> (18)
         Subject: RE: 17.686 what is complexity?

   [2] From: Serena Fenton <fents@ibiblio.org> (30)
         Subject: Complexity and Contradiction in Architecture

   [3] From: Stephen Ramsay <sramsay@uga.edu> (22)

         Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 07:46:11 +0000
         From: Carolyn Rude <carolynr@vt.edu>

Ken Baake's book, Metaphor and Knowledge: The Challenges of Writing Science
(SUNY UP 2003), is based on his study at the Santa Fe Institute, where he
spent some time immersed in the culture and in conversation with the
scientists about how they use metaphor in developing and explaining new
concepts and discoveries. One chapter, "'Complexity': An Etymology Leading to
a Discussion of Whether it is a Metaphor or Something Else," addresses
complexity theory directly, but the concept permeates the book. Ken's writing
is accessible, and he is himself a polymath, with degrees in economics,
rhetoric, and literature as well as good knowledge of music, mathematics,
science, and engineering. He brings all of this together elegantly in his
book.

Carolyn

Carolyn Rude
Dept of English, 323 Shanks