17.695 NLP & Multimedia workshop; Hypertext & related conferences

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 04:11:15 EST

<x-flowed>
                     Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

   [1] From: Declerck <declerck@dfki.de> (51)
         Subject: 2nd call for papers for the NLP and Multimedia ESSLLI
                 Workshop

   [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (15)
         Subject: hypertext and related conferences

         Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:06:29 +0000
         From: Declerck <declerck@dfki.de>
Workshop

                         CALL FOR PAPERS (Extended deadlines: 22nd March)
                             NLP for Multimedia Applications
                           http://www.dfki.de/~declerck/esslli04.htm
                                  16-20 August, Nancy

organised as part of the European Summer School on Logic, Language and
Information
   ESSLLI 2004 (http://esslli2004.loria.fr/) 9-20 August, 2004 in Nancy

Workshop Organizers:
Thierry Declerck (declerck@dfki.deb)
Elisabeth André (andre@informatik.uni-augsburg.de)

Workshop Purpose:
The Workshop aims to provide a discussion platform between advanced PhD
students and researchers, who are interested in the topics typically
addressed at ESSLLI, and possible multimedia applications involving
research results from Language Processing. The submissions should not
necessarily describe achieved work, but can present advanced ideas on how
to combine NLP and Multimedia applications.

Workshop Topics:
The workshop will explore some issues on the role natural language
processing (NLP) can play
within the increasing number of multimedia (MM) applications that more and
more are
influencing our everyday life. Multimodality can be addressed as well, as
long as multimedia
aspects are considered. Main questions to be addressed will be:

- How to integrate multimedia input including natural language (spoken or
written);
- How to combine natural language with other media in order to generate
high quality multimedia output;
- How to make use of NL for efficient access to MM archives, Including
interactive retrieval;
- Multimedia segmentation, indexing, summarization, and presentation;
- Multimedia and multimodal interaction;
- How to extend multilingual NLP applications (like Question Answering etc)
into a multi-source and
multimedia setting;
- Representation (and reasoning about) of multimedia/multimodal discourse
and context

The workshop will also investigate the type of formalisms and standards to
be used for this
integration task. Contributions on basic research and on running or
achieved projects dealing
with the topics are welcome.

Papers addressing one or more of the following topics are also welcome, but
there should be
some clear possible relationships to NLP, including logical issues:
MPEG, multimedia/multimodal content, coding schemes, metadata, knowledge
representation for
multimedia content (multimedia ontologies), semantic annotation of
multimedia content or search,
retrieval and Web applications.

[material deleted]