17.697 studies of beginnings & endings of words

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 04:12:53 EST

<x-flowed>
                     Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

         Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:07:11 +0000
         From: "Jim Marchand" <marchand@staff.uiuc.edu>
         Subject: Re: 17.691 studies of beginnings & endings of words?

Most of the grammars of older Indo-European languages will have a
section on word-final developments, and there are even books on the
subject; cf. Alois Walde, Die germanischen Auslautgesetze. Eine
sprachwissenschaftliche Untersuchung mit vornehmlicher
Beruecksichtung der Zeitfolge der Auslautsveraenderungen. Halle,
1900. Many of these grammars are in German, and the German word is
`Auslaut'. In English we often say `laws of finals', and the
French linguist Andre Martinet introduced the adjective
`desinential' into English. Word initial is not taken up all that
much, though I do remember that Hirt in his Indogermanische
Grammatik (vol. 1) has a section on Anlaut (initial). There are
some languages, like the Celtic, where one has to treat initial
changes, e. g. Irish bean `woman', mna `of the woman', and there is
the famous `Notker's Anlaut(s)gesetz' in Old High German.