17.845 professorship at University College London

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 16:52:37 EDT

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 07:06:05 +0100
             From: Claire Warwick <c.warwick@ucl.ac.uk>
             Subject: professorship at University College London

    Dear Humanists,

    Please find below the advertisement for the Chair and Director of the
    School of Library Archive and Information Studies at UCL. As many of you
    will know, this is presently held by Susan Hockey, which is proof that this
    is not just a post for a librarian, it is simply that this is the title of
    the chair. As you will see, for simplicity one name (that of Rob Miller)
    has been given for informal contact. However, I am also part of the panel
    which is making the appointment, so if anyone who already knows me would
    rather discuss it with me, I am very happy to do so, either by email, phone
    or in person.

    Best wishes,

    Claire

    UNIVERSITY COLLEGE LONDON

    School of Library, Archive and Information Studies

    Chair of Library and Information Studies and Director of the School

    UCL invites applications for the Chair of Library and Information Studies
    in our School of Library, Archive and Information Studies. It is envisaged
    that the successful candidate will also be appointed to the post of the
    Director of the School, for an initial period of five years. The post will
    become vacant due to the retirement of Professor Susan Hockey, the present
    Director. The successful applicant will be a researcher of high
    international standing, and will have the relevant managerial skills and
    experience to lead this forward looking, interdisciplinary department. He
    or she will also be expected to participate in teaching at both
    undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The salary is negotiable on the
    professorial scale.

    Further particulars concerning both the post and the School are available
    on the UCL website at http://www.slais.ucl.ac.uk/chair/. Informal enquiries
    may be made to Dr Rob Miller on 020 7679 2107 (international: +44 20 7679
    2107), email: <mailto:rsm@ucl.ac.uk>rsm@ucl.ac.uk.

    Applications (10 copies for UK-based candidates, one copy for overseas
    candidates), including a curriculum vitae and the names and addresses of
    three referees (including at least one referee based outside the
    candidate's country of residence) and details of current salary, should be
    addressed to the Provost and President of UCL and sent to the Director of
    Academic Services, UCL, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT.

    We particularly welcome women and black and ethnic minority applicants as
    they are under represented at this level within University College London
    (Section 48 of the Sex Discrimination Act 1975/38 of the Race Relations Act
    1976 apply).

    The closing date for applications is Friday 14 May 2004. It is intended
    that interviews for the post will be held on Tuesday 22 June 2004.

    Claire Warwick MA PhD
    Programme Director and Lecturer
    Electronic Communication and Publishing
    School of Library, Archive and Information Studies
    University College London
    Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT
    Phone: 020 7679 2548, email: c.warwick@ucl.ac.uk