17.793 Paglia & the state of things

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 16:54:51 EDT

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 06:47:34 +0100
             From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)
             Subject: Re: 17.792 Camille Paglia on image

    To bad Frontpagemag.com doesn't record the reaction/impressions of the
    youth people to her very short speech (expanded for frontpagemag.com
    publicatin). Or for that matter responses from young people who were not
    present at York Univeristy in 2002.

    Paglia's bemoaning is an old trope. It's rehashing does a disservice to
    those who are prepared to age gracefully and credit youth with a modicum
    of intelligence, verve and gusto.

    quote>
    Interest in and patience with long, complex books and poems have
    alarmingly diminished not only among college students but college faculty
    in the U.S. It is difficult to imagine American students today, even at
    elite universities, gathering impromptu at midnight for a passionate
    discussion of big, challenging literary works like Dostoyevsky's The
    Brothers Karamazov—a scene I witnessed in a recreation room strewn with
    rock albums at my college dormitory in upstate New York in 1965.
    <quote

    She is wrong. The information communication technologies do provide a
    setting for both multitasking and for extended discussions on big books.
    One example on a book odyssey [a culinary volume] that can imitated with
    any of the canonical works of literature is the julie/julia project. See
    http://blogs.salon.com/0001399/2002/08/25.html

    Furthermore time zones and ICTs give a new meaning to all nighter...

    As one commentator writes at jill/txt:
    Let us take the example of the Armistice - November 11 at 11 o'clock. A
    occasion marked according to local time. It becomes possible through the
    technologies of presence to imagine the marking of a world experience
    through a series of 12 before and 12 after. Television is alleged to have
    reduced attention spans. The Internet, expanded? Folded in each hour is a
    day. Ditto for the minute. Ditto for the second. A calendar is like a map.
    And just as maps have insets, calendars in the 21st century might have
    "moments" expressed in local time and "windows" expressed in global time.
    http://huminf.uib.no/~jill/archives/world/patterns_thankfully_disrupted.html

    --
    Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
    http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance

    Wondering if...

    mnemonic is to analytic as mimetic is to synthetic