17.798 Aristotle on disciplinarity

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 16:55:12 EDT

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 06:51:32 +0100
             From: Hartmut Krech <kr538@uni-bremen.de>
             Subject: Re: 17.796 Frye on disciplinarity

    Willard,

    the Frye statement you are quoting may be contrasted with Aristotle's
    famous beginning words from his "On the Parts of Animals":

    "Every systematic science [theoría kaì méthodos], the humblest and the
    noblest alike, seems to admit of two distinct kinds of proficiency; one of
    which may be properly called scientific knowledge of the subject [èpistéme
    toû prágmatos kalôs], while the other is a kind of educational acquaintance
    [paideía] with it. For an educated man [pepaideuménos] should be able to
    form a fair off-hand judgement as to the goodness or badness of the method
    used by a professor in his exposition. To be educated is in fact to be able
    to do this; and even the man of universal education we deem to be such in
    virtue of his having this ability. It will, however, of course, be
    understood that we only ascribe universal education to one who in his own
    individual person is thus critical in all or nearly all branches of
    knowledge, and not to one who has a like ability merely in some special
    subject. For it is possible for a man to have this competence in some one
    branch of knowledge without having it in all." (Bekk. 639 a; tr. William
    Ogle; original Greek wording added by myself; Internet Classics Archive;
    http://classics.mit.edu/Aristotle/parts_animals.1.i.html)

    This view is supported by two other statements from Aristotle's "On the
    Generation of Animals" where he says that any "logical proof" is "empty" as
    long as it is not grounded in a factual knowledge of the subject at hand
    (Bekk. 747 b and 748 a). It must be noted that these words derive from the
    inventor of scientific logics.

    It seems to be a very productive confrontation between specific
    disciplinary knowledge and universal education that you make. Thank you for
    the reference.

    Best regards,
    Dr. Hartmut Krech
    Bremen, Germany
    The Culture and History of Science and the Humanities
    http://ww3.de/krech