17.818 Kretzschmar awarded a chair at UGA

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 16:56:48 EDT

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:06:37 +0100
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: Kretzschmar awarded a chair in the humanities at UGA

    Following is a press-release from the University of Georgia announcing the
    award of the Harry and Jane Willson Professorship in the Humanities to Bill
    Kretzschmar, long-time member of the Association for Computers and the
    Humanities. The full text is at
    http://www.uga.edu/news/artman/publish/040421willsongift.shtml.

    WM

    >ATHENS, Ga. -- With a $250,000 gift to the University of Georgia Center
    >for Humanities and Arts, Harry and Jane Willson of Albany have endowed a
    >professorship in the humanities.
    >
    >The CHA Willson Professorship will be a collaboration between the Center
    >for Humanities and Arts and UGA's Franklin College of Arts and Sciences.
    >William A. Kretzschmar Jr., professor of English and linguistics at UGA,
    >will hold the position.
    >
    >Harry and Jane Willson own Sunnyland Farms, the largest mail order pecan
    >products business in the country. Though not UGA graduates, the Willsons
    >have supported the university in many ways over the past 20 years.
    >
    >Jane Willson, who graduated from Wellesley College in 1945, has served on
    >the board of trustees of the UGA Foundation. She previously made a gift to
    >support UGA's Center for International Trade and Security. Harry Willson
    >earned a bachelor's degree from Emory University and an MBA from Harvard
    >in 1943.
    >
    >"Harry and Jane believe strongly in the importance of education, and they
    >are committed to helping the University of Georgia provide the best
    >possible training and preparation for the future leaders of our state and
    >nation," said UGA President Michael F. Adams. "They are valued friends of
    >the university, and we are deeply appreciative of their support."
    >
    >Kretzschmar joined UGA in 1986 as editor-in-chief of the American
    >Linguistic Atlas Project, the oldest and largest ongoing language survey
    >project in the country. While continuing in that position, he has become
    >the American pronunciation editor for the Oxford English Dictionary and is
    >co-editor of the Oxford Dictionary of Pronunciation for Current English.
    >
    >He involves both undergraduate and graduate students in his research,
    >supporting their work with grants from the National Science Foundation,
    >the National Endowment for the Humanities, the American Dialect Society
    >and other sources.
    >
    >Kretzschmar was director of UGA's linguistics program from 1996 to 1999.
    >He has been a leader in the Campus Information Technology Forum and other
    >initiatives to develop the university's information technology capability.
    >
    >Wyatt Anderson, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, said Kretzschmar
    >has an international reputation for using techniques of humanities
    >computing in his linguistics research and "is an ideal choice to be the
    >first CHA Willson professor."
    >
    >Betty Jean Craige, director of the Center for Humanities and Arts, praised
    >Kretzschmar as both an extraordinary scholar and excellent citizen of the
    >university. "He will bring distinction to the title of the CHA Willson
    >professor," Craige said.
    >
    >Kretzschmar's appointment was made on the recommendation of a committee of
    >UGA senior scholars in the humanities.

    [NB: If you do not receive a reply within 24 hours please resend]
    Dr Willard McCarty | Senior Lecturer | Centre for Computing in the
    Humanities | King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS || +44 (0)20
    7848-2784 fax: -2980 || willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk
    www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/