17.777 Tar-pits, metaphorical autism & the real thing

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 16:59:20 EDT

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: John Lavagnino <John.Lavagnino@kcl.ac.uk> (36)
             Subject: Re: Tar pit (was: metaphorical autism?)

       [2] From: "Yager, Susan F [ENGL]" <syager@iastate.edu> (33)
             Subject: RE: 17.775 ancient Greek word formation? metaphorical
                     autism?

             Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 07:10:14 +0100
             From: John Lavagnino <John.Lavagnino@kcl.ac.uk>

    In 17.775 Willard wrote---

    > Wegner's line of argument roughly coincides with Terry
    > Winograd's, for what the latter calls "interaction
    > design". Wegner says basically that the Turing Machine model of
    > computing is transcended by the interaction machine model,
    > quoting Alan Perlis's term, "Turing Tar-pit". (See the 54th of
    > Perlis's Epigrams, "Beware of the Turing tar-pit in which
    > everything is possible but nothing of interest is easy",
    > http://www.cs.yale.edu/homes/perlis-alan/quotes.html; those
    > here who are not American may not detect the implicit reference
    > to the La Brea Tar Pits, for which see
    > http://www.tarpits.org/.)

    I think the work that actually brought the tar-pit comparison into
    computer science is actually the classic book by Frederick P. Brooks,
    Jr.: The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering
    (Addison-Wesley, 1975). Chapter 1 is called "The Tar Pit", and has a
    frontispiece depicting the La Brea Tar Pits; in the copy I bought in
    the early 1980s this is on the front cover too. Chapter 1 starts like
    this:

         No scene from prehistory is quite so vivid as that of the mortal
         struggles of great beasts in the tar pits. In the mind's eye one
         sees dinosaurs, mammoths, and sabertoothed tigers struggling
         against the grip of the tar. The fiercer the struggle, the more
         entangling the tar, and no beast is so strong or so skillful but
         that he ultimately sinks.

         Large-system programming has over the past decade been such a tar
         pit, and many great and powerful beasts have thrashed violently in
         it. Most have emerged with running systems---few have met goals,
         schedules, and budgets. Large and small, massive or wiry, team
         after team has become entangled in the tar. No one thing seems to
         cause the difficulty---any particular paw can be pulled away. But
         the accumulation of simultaneous and interacting factors brings
         slower and slower motion. Everyone seems to have been surprised by
         the stickiness of the problem, and it is hard to discern the nature
         of it. But we must try to understand it if we are to solve it.

    John Lavagnino