18.024 new on WWW: Ubiquity 5.12; NINES website

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 05:14:48 EDT

                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: ubiquity <ubiquity@HQ.ACM.ORG> (9)
             Subject: Ubiquity 5.12

       [2] From: Bethany Nowviskie <bethany@virginia.edu> (27)
             Subject: NINES website

             Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 07:22:10 +0100
             From: ubiquity <ubiquity@HQ.ACM.ORG>

    This Week in Ubiquity:

    Volume 5, Issue 12
    (May 19 - May 25, 2004)

    INTERVIEW

    Casting a Wider Net
    Internet governance and policy expert George Sadowsky on using information
    and communication technologies to encourage economic development.
    http://www.acm.org/ubiquity/interviews/v5i12_sadowsky.html

    [material deleted]

             Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 09:15:07 +0100
             From: Bethany Nowviskie <bethany@virginia.edu>

    The NINES steering committee is pleased to announce a new informational
    website:

                                 http://www.nines.org/

    NINES is a group of distinguished scholars and humanities computing experts
    engaged in building a "networked interface for nineteenth-century
    electronic scholarship." This interface is to be an online research and
    publishing environment for integrated, peer-reviewed editorial and critical
    work in nineteenth-century studies, both British and American. NINES aims
    to address the crisis in humanities publishing and to move the rethinking
    of literary and cultural studies -- in method as well as theory -- by
    establishing an institutionalized mechanism for new kinds of digital-based
    analytic and interpretive practices.

    The website (at http://www.nines.org/ ) lists scholars serving on our
    Romantic, Victorian, and Americanist editorial boards, describes exciting
    analytical and pedagogical tools under construction, and offers a reading
    list and full description of the NINES project.

    The site also contains information about our planned summer workshops in
    electronic editing (for which successful applicants will receive fellowship
    funding) and presents guidelines for potential NINES contributors.

    We invite conversation and participation, and hope you will join us in our
    grassroots effort to shape humanities publication and computer-assisted
    scholarship.

    On behalf of the NINES steering committee,

    Bethany Nowviskie
    Design Editor, Rossetti Archive
    Post-Doctoral Researcher, ARP/SpecLab
    http://www.speculativecomputing.org/~bpn2f