18.207 Virtual Humanities Lab, Brown University

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 08:40:25 +0100

         Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 06:03:23 +0100
         From: Vika Zafrin <amarena_at_gmail.com>
         Subject: New project at Brown: Virtual Humanities Lab

Dear computing humanists,

There's a new humanities computing project based at Brown University.
Continuing the work of the Decameron Web and other electronic projects
relevant to Early Modern Italy, with the Virtual Humanities Lab we
plan to develop existing and new digital resources into an
experimental model for collaborative scholarship and pedagogy.

We are encoding new texts (Boccaccio's Esposizioni sulla Commedia di
Dante and portions of Giovanni Villani's Croniche). We are also
beginning work on a new interface, which will provide tools that will
allow scholars to annotate texts online, suggest variant encodings,
and of course participate in discussion using natural languages as
well as code.

We have started a weblog at
http://brown.edu/Departments/Italian_Studies/vhl/. Clicking on the
"about" link there, and perusing the posts written so far, will tell
you more about the project. We enthusiastically invite comments from
any interested parties.

The VHL is co-sponsored by the National Endowment for the Humanities
and Brown University, with the participation of scholars from Rome and
Bologna.

--
Vika Zafrin
Director, Virtual Humanities Lab