18.293 new on WWW: Use of Digital Resources in UG Education

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 07:26:04 +0100

         Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 07:19:14 +0100
         From: Diane Harley <dianeh_at_berkeley.edu>
         Subject: Use of Digital Resources in UG Education, On-line Report

Dear Willard,
Our first year report, "The Use of Digital Resources in Humanities/Social
Sciences Undergraduate Education," has been posted on-line at:
http://digitalresourcestudy.berkeley.edu/docs.html

We welcome Humanist readers' critiques and comments as we tackle the second
year of the project, which includes detailed analysis of faculty survey
opinion about use, nonuse and barriers to use, an on-going literature
review, and classification of those resources faculty say they use.

We also cordially invite faculty and graduate students to take our second
online survey, which is designed to understand user preferences about the
use or non-use of technology in humanities and social science
undergraduate/baccalaureate teaching contexts. The study is focused on a
broad range of rich media digital resources and tools (e.g., text, images,
video, maps, GIS, etc.) that can come from a wide range of sources,
including faculty personal collections.

The survey can be found at:
https://digitalresourcestudy.berkeley.edu/survey/

This research project is generously funded by the Andrew W. Mellon
Foundation and the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation.
Additional assistance has been provided by the Center for Information
Technology Research in the Interest of Society (CITRIS), the
Hewlett-Packard Company, the California Digital Library (CDL), and the Vice
Chancellor of Research, UC Berkeley.

Best,
Diane
Diane Harley, Ph.D.
Director, Higher Education in the Digital Age Project
Center for Studies in Higher Education (CSHE)
South Hall Annex, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720-4650
voice: 510/642-5040
fax: 510/643-6845
http://ishi.lib.berkeley.edu:80/cshe/projects/university/