18.377 Google Scholar

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 08:34:24 +0000

   [1] From: Pat Galloway <galloway_at_ischool.utexas.edu> (20)
         Subject: Re: 18.375 Google Scholar

   [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk> (24)
         Subject: standing on the shoulders of giants

         Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 08:01:35 +0000
         From: Pat Galloway <galloway_at_ischool.utexas.edu>

Referring to Hope's comments: I have colleagues working with Google and
know that the company's curiosity about how language works and their
desire to access and provide access to obscure archival materials (for
example) is genuine. I expect that people had a hard time getting with
Dewey's program at first, too (and oh the agony of switching to LC)--and
that locked down a western conceptual structure in such a way that people
are now threatened by an engine like Google that can conceivably be at
least partly agnostic as to conceptual structure. Students need to be
taught how to evaluate materials on the basis of context and internal
evidence, wherever they come from--and maybe they'll realize how much they
need that skill when they get ten thousand hits from an ill-formed request.
But don't we all love open stacks for the serendipity of bad cataloging and
just being forced to walk by shelves in which we think we have no interest?
For some real entertainment, click on Google preferences and look at the
languages in which you can search and set the interfact to display to you.
A local physics student when interviewed said he set his interface for
Latin "because it's kind of ironic." Go figure: unintended consequences.
You can also have Klingon.
Pat Galloway
School of Information
University of Texas at Austin